4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

MSD 2-Step Install! w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:36 PM
blackGTcp
4th Gear Member

Default RE: MSD 2-Step Install! w/pics

+1 on the VID's!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:28 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jbauer

Wait, so I have to splice the factory RED wire on the Neutral safety switch?
What if i decide to switch back to stock?

Also, there is only one ground wire involved in all of this installation, correct?
What if i chose to use the 12v power source (blue/white wire) instead of the ground (blue wire)to activate the2 step, will i still need touse the ground?

yes you splice the red factory wire on the neutral safety switch. If you switch back to stock you just take the splice out and tape up around the splice.. if you know what the splice looks like its easier to understand, the red wire still goes into the neutral safety switch.

there are 2 ground wires, the black ground wire that grounds the actual 2 step box and the BLUE ground wire which activates the 2-step which is hooked up to the neutral safety switch wire.

if you chose to use the 12v power source you could if you hooked it up to something like a line loc or what not. you would not hook up the 12v source to a ground you would hook it up to a 12v power source just like it sounds.

but you only hook up one of the activation wires at a time, either the ground or the 12v source
Old 08-07-2008, 06:28 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

and I made a quick vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TnQBu1RJAU

Old 08-07-2008, 07:39 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

I broke my stock axle at the c clip with just nitto drag radials.

How long after you'd been beating on it until then though?? Realistically... I had my 73 Fast back with the 351 S/Ced, and used to do numerous launches, and never broke an axle.. I had my 2000 and launched with b-tch power almost every time I was driving, with a shift kit, and never broke an axle..

IMO, it really comes down to the traction + power = (n)breakage (n) being the coefficient of breakage..

I will mention though, that about halfway through my ownership of my car, that I converted to 31-spline, ONLY because I was rebuilding the rear axle, and didn't want to skimp out on anything.. Regardless, the OEM axles had no damage, no scoring, no warping, perfectly straight and ready to throw in another axle...

JT
Old 08-07-2008, 09:57 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

your xcal2 should have it and yes it limits the rpm by cutting the injectors. so the 2 step is still very necessary as you wouldnt want to hit the fuel cutting limiter in a FI vehicle as i would lean out, and im pretty sure you cant spray off the line on a nitrous vehicle with a fuel cutting limiter.

how much did you get the 2 step for. i would be interested in getting one as i believe i could make some boost off the line with a 2 step limiter.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:02 AM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

I picked it up for 230, got mine from summit because they ship really fast to my house. and like you stated I wanted a 2-step that cuts spark only. and 4200 rpm my car builds about 3 psi right off the line and at 3000 it is only 1 lb, but the vortech really doesnt make that much boost down low n e ways. I'm sure at 5k plus it will build some more, which should be where I'm at after the 31 spline upgrade and some 28X10.5 slicks that I'm buying
Old 10-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Manch78

Default Clutch Safety Switch?

I just installed one today except i can't get it to work. I turn the car to on and the light on the module lights up. I start the car and it turns off. The instructions say for ground activation to connect the blue wire to the clutch safety switch. Says it's the red/blue wire. There are two switches on the clutch. The one at the top of the clutch(black and white wires) and the one towards the bottom on the firewall(both red/blue). I connected it to one of the red/blue wires and then the other and it will not activate Am I connecting it to the right place? I was hoping to find a picture of an install on an S197 to give me a clue but no luck. Can somebody tell me what I'm looking at?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to play with it at the track this weekend.

Thanks
Manny
Old 09-09-2012, 01:10 AM
Sdrealityking

Default HELP

I just installed the 2 step and it works....but to a certain extent. At a light it goes up to 3500rpm where I set it, but when I drive with the clutch out (obviously) my rpms don't go over 3500rpm. Please help me
Old 09-09-2012, 10:54 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Sdrealityking
I just installed the 2 step and it works....but to a certain extent. At a light it goes up to 3500rpm where I set it, but when I drive with the clutch out (obviously) my rpms don't go over 3500rpm. Please help me
I applaud your use of the search function, however after 3 years it would have been OK to start a new thread.

The obvious thing we need to know to help is how have you connected the black, blue and white/blue wires from the 3-wire connector?

Note that only one or the other of the blue and white/blue wires should be used...
Old 04-28-2014, 02:04 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

definitely an old thread but ordered mine Friday and should be here tomorrow from summit, just in time for mir nmra

gotta figure out a way to hook it up into my transbrake button

Quick Reply: MSD 2-Step Install! w/pics