4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Speedometer correction?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:20 AM
medic33
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Speedometer correction?

i didmy 98 gt with rear tires 24.5 diameter-4:10 gears and to me it was way off. so unknowingly assuming my speedo was no different than a 99 my friend has, bought a diablo tuner,, it only took about 15 minutes to realize my wife was going to be mad because i justified the 300$$ purchase with the idea that it would recalibrate to the correct speed, there was no selection for axle or speedo, did some research called around and ordered a speedo gear from steeda,, but they told me there was no gear for a 4:10 setup,,the sales person explained to me they normally just sold a 14 tooth gear(i think) and that was for a 3:73 gears and i would be fairly close, this gear was purple the installation was simple and takes about 5 mins, but it still seems way off and kind of drives me crazy I completely understand you wanting your speedo calibrated and if there is a black gear for a 4:10 let me know after i put in the purple gear in kinda got frustrated and quit screwing with it, anyways sorry for the long and probobly useless post.but dont try a diablo tuner and a purple gear is still going to be off.so guess thats the moral of the story....and if you want a tuner don't tell your wife just go get it and tell her you got robbed!!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:39 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I did not care to argue the point earlier, however the pre-'99 Mustangs use plain ol' mechanical, cable-driven, speedometers. The only way to correct the speedometer is by changing the drive gear...
Old 08-09-2008, 02:59 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

illtake a picture, i prove its not a cable driven speedometer. actually ill take a pciture of my 98 gt and 96 gt to prove their not cable operated try to find a speedometer cable for a 96 gt with the t-45 g/l
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pr...sor+Motorcraft
anyways, heres the black gear i was speaking of:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...p;CatKey=74-01

Old 08-09-2008, 11:41 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You are correct.Monday I will call my friend at the local boneyard that gave me the wrong info and chew him a new butthole...[/align][/align]'94+ are electronic, but it looks like only the EEC-V models ('99 to '04) can be tweaked in the tune.'94 to '98 require the Speed-Cal for electronic tweaking...[/align]
Old 08-10-2008, 02:38 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

hey no hard feelings, not trying to make enemies on here. i ordered the black gear to see if it will help at least a little bit. id rather spend 12 bucks for a gear than 100 bucks at this point lol not to happy about having to add a "tuner" to correct my speedo, something else that can just go bad on these cars
Old 08-10-2008, 03:54 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

No problem, I think we are both sort of correct... The speedo on '94 through '98 is driven by an electrical pulse, but that pulse does not "travel" through the PCM like it does on the later models, it instead goes directly to the instrument cluster where it drives the speedometer.[/align][/align]The new drive gear should fix you up.[/align]
Old 08-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Listen, that little black gear plugs in to your tranny. It stays in with the clip that goes on the end of it and 1 bolt (if i remember correctly) holds the whole thing in to/on to the tranny.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

cliff -yea your correct. needs a stupid speed-cal inline with the sensor and cluster. guess we'll try the gear and see what she does for me

stang9946 - ??? yes i know that. ive rebuilt my t-45 before....
Old 08-13-2008, 01:32 AM
medic33
1st Gear Member

so wait what about my 98 the black 20 tooth speedo gear wont work?? it says on the web site you posted ealier it will work with a 4;10 gear
Old 08-18-2008, 02:39 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

ok guys update, i called mustangs unlimited and asked about the gears again, because of what the stock gears in the car were he did have a diff gear to correct the speedo, its a 23 tooth white gear.
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...s&CatKey=74-01
i should have it thursday and i will let you know how it works out. i recommend callling them and they should be able to tell you if u have a 6, 7, or 8 tooth gear inside the trans and then can help you choose which driven gear you need. ill keep you guys informed tho.

Quick Reply: Speedometer correction?