4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

electrical problem...help please??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:33 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Default electrical problem...help please??

if i let my car sit for a week, it dies

ok...the big orange fuse is the "Instrument Cluster, PCM" and the blue is the "Radio" .... wtf is going on? the fuses under the dash have no affect on the light, i tried unplugging them with the PCM fuse connected and disconnected, and it didnt change...the light is only affected by the radio and the pcm fuses... with both out theres no light...with the pcm connected and the radio out, its solid...with the radio connected and the pcm out it flashes, and with both plugged in its solid again....i recently uninstalled a subwoofer box, maybe i left something open, that would explain why the radio affects it...but i was told that there shouldnt be a light at all...and even with the radio fuse out, the pcm fuse lights it...would it maybe be something related to the pcm/instrument panel or the radio? or maybe something that has to do with all 3? help me out please...i dont know **** about this stuff...

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i...nt=CIMG0562.flv
Old 08-08-2008, 12:56 PM
GTRedfire03
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: electrical problem...help please??

Did you diconnect the negative terminal on the battery so the car wouldnt die? Does the radio turn off completely? You need to get a voltmeter (maybe from autozone or somewhere). If you can tell me what the voltage says, then maybe i could help you out a little more. Oh and if you can, explain a little more in detail about the sub uninstall.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:45 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

in the video the negative is disconnected, the test light is hooked to the negative cable and propped against the terminal...a test light should do fine shouldnt it? and yes the radio turns off when the car is off...and why would i need a volt meter? wouldnt i need to check the amps instead? i know it shouldnt draw more than 50 mA but 50 mA shouldnt light the test light, so i definately have a drain, which eliminates the need for finding exactly how much...correct me if im wrong

oh and the sub box... 1 wire right to battery, one into a kill switch, one out of kill switch into radio, and audio wires from box to radio....i removed all of those components so idk what could be left
Old 08-08-2008, 02:09 PM
GTRedfire03
3rd Gear Member

Well on the voltmeter I could see how much the volt jumps up and down. The power wire from the battery to the amp wasnt hot when you pulled it out( you disconnect it or pull the fuse on the power wire) so when you pull it out it didnt hit mental and sparked. Yeah there is definity a current draw somewhere but those fuse under your hood are constant 12 volts.

Oh should of asked this when the battery first died did you just jump it? Becuase you have a deep cycle battery there right a yellow top?
Here check out this site about charging deep cycle batteries:

http://www.marine-electronics.net/te..._faq/b_faq.htm
Old 08-08-2008, 02:20 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

i charged it with a battery charger, and then hooked it up to my battery tender....the battery is charged now, thats not the issue i just need to find the draw... idk what you mean, but i pulled the entire power wire out that ran from the battery to the box...and im confused on what voltage has to do with my problem? im having a current draw which is amps... voltage shouldnt matter...