4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just installed my MGW STS

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 04:57 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Just installed my MGW STS

So last night I just installed my new MGW STS with my FRPP **** and wow the throw is so much shorter. When I first tried it out, it felt like the throw was so short that it was kinda impractical but soon later It started to "feel" a bit longer. I now get what people mean by saying you don't have to "find" the gears. The shifter is kinda really stiff right now, does anyone know if it will smoothen out later?

I used a putty knife to try and remove some of the old sealant but it was hard moving it all so I didn't manage to take it all off. I don't think it is much of a problem since I used a rubber gasket from stangmods?

The install took such a long time for me partly because I ****ing dropped the 8mm socket under my seat and spent like almost 2 hours trying to find it...I then realized that something magnetic was probably under my seat and sucked the socket somewhere deep into it. So I took another socket and slowly put it under my seat and felt it stick onto something. I looked under my seat and finally found the 8mm socket that I originally had lost. It was right under the rear mounting seat bracket thingy. But I just cannot find the other one I put under there. It's annoying the **** out of me...Anyone know where I can find a guide on taking off my seat so I can find it?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 08-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Just installed my MGW STS

to take off the seat just inscrew the four bolts securing it. they should be visible if you move the seat all the way forward and backward. then just unclip the harness for the seat motor and pull it out. simple.

P.S. i also just installed an mgw shifter and i know what you mean about the throws being short, cant believe it took me this long to get a short shifter. im getting so anxious to go out and drive it but im waiting for the gasket material to dry for me to take it out for a spin.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Anyone else have a hell of time getting that damn stock shifter off ? lol I had to ask for some tips on here after a hour of trying to get it off.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:13 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the reply. Man taking off the stock shifter was a bitch. The instructions told me to move it side to side. I donno if I was doing it right because I was basically moving it sideways with the centering springs. I had to do it really hard and it felt like I was deliberately trying to damage the tranny. I finallly pulled hard and it came right off.

Did you use the stop bolts? Everyone has been telling me not to use it so I didn't. They say that the 3650 has beefy internal stop's so I decided not to use it. I just wanna know how strong these stop bolts actually are. I am just worried that I might still be able to overshift and ruin my transmission. One of the original reasons I bought an aftermarket shifter was suppose to be for this.

Brandon
Old 08-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

I was told to powershift from first to second to get the stock shifter off and that worked , I used the stop bolts on my pro 5.0. I you have them gapped right youll be fine and if you bang gears they are worth it.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member

i didnt use the stop bolts and i just went out for a drive and wow just feels awesome. but my stock shifter came off with no problems, just put slight pressure to the left and it popped off, i read about it being hard to come off so i put some muscle into it and it just came off like nothing.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:34 PM
MachWon04
1st Gear Member

Hah, I just put my pro 5.0 on the mach yesterday and ended up looking like a complete moron coming on here asking how to get the stock shifter off. Ended up going to the passenger side and pulling the sucker as hard as I could. Popped right off and took the gasket with it. A quick run with a razor blade around the trans took most of the gook off. It was pretty flat and I used the AM gasket so I'm not worried. Set the stops 1 full turn out like the pro 5.0 directions say, but they look a bit far out to do any good. The difference between this and stock is night and day... and then some. So nice. I also got the FRPP shift **** and it feels great. I've heard the MGW is even better than the pro 5.0 so I'm sure you're having a blast
Old 08-09-2008, 06:57 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Yeah I love it. I heard it takes a week or so to break it in and make it smoother. But I love how the shifter feels so solid now compared to the crappy stock one. I bought the shift **** from stangsuspension.com because I wanted the carbon fiber look.

Heres a few pics I took of the process:

Did anyone manage to accidently rip off that small platic tab in front of the console? I had a hard time figuring out how to remove it. The instructions just said to pull upwards but when I did that, it didn't come off as easily as it sounded. I ended up having to slightly bend the outside of the control outwards and then pull it out. I then Saw the 2 tabs on each side plus the small one in the middle. That small one had like white edges with a slight crack. I donno if it was from me or not but that means I ALMOST broke it off lol wheww
Old 08-09-2008, 09:52 PM
jefster411

ive read the mgw has the shortest throw in its class. i hope my wife gets it for me for christmas or birthday.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:06 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You don't need the stop bolts with the Tremec 3650 transmission.[/align][/align]
This is an eMail message I received from George at MGW, in direct response to my specific question about the stop bolts...

"I would NOT put them in. I have talked with Tremec in great detail about this and am convinced that they are correct. The tranny has beefy internal stops and does not require the external stops. We mainly put them in for shipping purposes only. We lock the center shaft down so that the shifter will not clang around in shipping. You must remove them prior to installation of the shifter.

Regards,
George"
[/align]

Quick Reply: Just installed my MGW STS