4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My car will not start sometimes after being driven.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default RE: My car will not start sometimes after being driven.

Yep should be. (if the coolant fix doesnt work, try it) I have never taken out, nor seen the fuel relay in a Mustang. I know hondas and Toyotas have them under the dash with the rest of the relays but i'm not too sure about this one. I'm on my laptop right now, otherwise i'd grab my owner's manual and look at the fuse diagram for ya.. just take a look at it when you can I suppose.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Gene4.6L

I was just thinking, that if the fuel pump relay was bad that the fuel pump would not come on when it is having this problem, but I still hear it cycle if when it won't start. Is that right or not. I'm not for sure. So that leads me back to the coolant.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:14 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

I'd try fresh coolant tomorrow morning. It makes the most sense here. Just having water isn't too good unless you live in like Arizona.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:04 AM
goofy

i have a 2002 gt with the same problem.. it is because of the cams.. all i have to do is hold the throttle half way down and turn engine over and it will start... the bigger cams dump more fuel/air in motor causing it to flood motor (choke)..
Old 08-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Gene4.6L

I have tried that and it still won't work. I have added anti-freeze and still have the same problem. I can not figure this Mustang out. It will not do it everytime, but I can not rely on it to start when I need it to. This problem did not start until just a few months ago, before that it ran like a screaming animal with no problems. It has a lot of mods to the engine, but was never a problem until now.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:54 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

FYI the fuel relay hot wire for these cars is pin#15 in the CCRM located in the passenger side wheel well. When you try to fire the car, does it even sputter? The PATS on these cars will sometimes malfunction and cause weird starting issues.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Gene4.6L

No it does not sputter. It just seems like there is no fire. I can hear the fuel pump build pressure and shut off and it still will not start.
I had it tested and it does not read any codes. Do you think that it could be the fuel relay and tell me more about the CCRM and what is a PATS. I am running out of opitions.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:02 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gene4.6L

No it does not sputter. It just seems like there is no fire. I can hear the fuel pump build pressure and shut off and it still will not start.
I had it tested and it does not read any codes. Do you think that it could be the fuel relay and tell me more about the CCRM and what is a PATS. I am running out of opitions.
If the fuel pump relay is not coming on I would go to the green/yellow power wire that goes to the pump (check in the kickpanel by the PCM/by the inertia switch in the trunk) to see if its getting power, but if you can hear the fuel pump turn on that already rules that the fuel pump is not the issue.

The PATS is the Passive Anti Theft System that consists of a module in the steering column that reads the RFID frequency from the key and cross checks it with the "ignition code" stored in the PCM. If those two do not match it will not let the injectors pulse properly to let the car start. Over time it is possible that the PATS system could have malfunctioned although not common.

I would look to the injector pressure sensor located on top of the fuel rail. After your car sits for awhile the fuel rails will let the pressure down and let the fuel back into the tank, but while the car still has pressure in the rails it may not start.

Try this: unplug the injector pressure sensor (looks like a small black cube located on the driver side fuel rail) at the pigtail. Try to start the car then and see if it makes a difference.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Gene4.6L

I went and tried this but the car is not acting up right now. What will this do when I do that? What is the purpose of it?
Old 08-10-2008, 05:58 PM
02GTSteve
1st Gear Member

I have an 02 and I was having trouble starting it and finally a CEL came on. I checked it and I have a bad Cam positionsensor. It could be your problem as well. My CEL didn't come on until a few days after it didn't want to start. I am getting ready to change the sensor but don't know where it's at. Any ideas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My car will not start sometimes after being driven.