4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Gas Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Gas Pump

[align=left]Remember me talking about how whenever I try to fill up my tank?

Okay well.. new update. Take this situation for example and picture it as it is happening to yuo and your car becasue it's the best way to describe it:

It's a bright, sunny Saturday afternoon at about 12pm, and you just got out of work. You are driving your 2000 Mustang GT home when your gas needle hits E and it's time to hit the station on the way home... soo you pull over to the station, get out of the car and go over to the pump. You slide your debit card and select 87.. pull up the latch on the pump, open the fuel door, and unscrew the cap. You pop the nozzle in the cap and begin to pump. You look around at the other cars, some of them sweet, some pretty retarded. Then all of a sudden after a good 7 or 8 seconds.. "CLICK". You look down and your like "whaaaa?" "what the? Eh, whatever" So now you begin to pump some more fuel, you pull the nozzle lever and then after about 3 seconds.. "CLICK" again! Okay, by now your like what the F***. So now you start to investigate and your like okay.. you pull the lever and you hear a noise that resembles when you fill a plastic cup with water at your faucet at home. You know.. (chooooooooooooO! *CLICK* (Yes, im serious im trying to describe something here!!) You know that sound when something is filling up like a bucket of water or something with a garden hose.. But anyway.. so you get into a routine of giving it a lil pump at a time.. little by little, never pulling it all the way.. god no. So you get mad after you are standing there 5 minutes and only have 5 gallons of fuel in the tank so you pull the lever all the way! The same choooo sound like something is filling up and then you get shot in the chest with gas (NO im not kidding it SPIT gas at me and then spilled out underneath the fender at the same time)

Anyway though.. I got the tank up to 15 gallons and it took forever. People have told me "evap valve" and Ford told me "filler neck" idk really.. it's just annoying and embarassing because one girl working there came up to me and asked me if I knew what I was doing (im serious) I said yes, I have a gas tank issue going on and I cry about it every night, it pains me horribly, now leave me alone. If anyone has any ideas.. please throw them out there! lol, thanks guys.
[/align]
Old 08-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Gene4.6L

Default RE: Gas Pump

I don't know what the exact problem is, but I just took out my filler neck because for one I replaced the fuel pump. Anyway there is a little spring loaded plunger that is supposed to open when you put fuel in and is supposed to close in case you roll your car. That is what I was told. That could be the problem. If it gets stuck shut if will only let a little bit of fuel in at a time. Anyway I also found another problem during the change, and that it was leaking because of the plastic sleeve that Ford put around the bottom side of the filler neck mine was so rusted that it broke in half when I took it out. I got a new one and painted it with alot of paint to keep it from doing the same and did not put the sleeve back on it.

You might take a hose and stick it in the filler neck (gently) and see if you can push the valve open. The hose will not go completely into the take because of this valve, but it should slide the valve open if that is the problem. Make sure that you take a screwdriver and hold the little metal flap up when you take out the hose that is in the top part of the filler neck so that you don't tear it off. They are not held on very well and can fall into the filler neck.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

It would be cool to have an internal diagram of some sort but I will try that tomorrow for sure.. I think I have a good picture of the problem kinda mapped out in my head.. Oh also, if it helps the case any if I leave the car running it fills up completely normal.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Gene4.6L

you might have a vent line clogged then. If that is the case then the pressure would build up in the tank and push the valve shut and also keep fuel from entering when filling it up. Not sure though. The tank is not that hard to remove if you have the time and place to do it. Then you could check the fuel filler neck and check all of the vent lines by blowing them out. I don't know what year yours is but, mine is a 2000 and it took about 30 minutes to take out. I had to have a fuel line disconect to for a 3/8 fuel line to drop the tank out and to take off the filter to replace it. There are 3 bolts that hold the tank up on mine, there are 2 lines that need to be undone on the underside of the filler neck on is a high pressure line with a plastic clip. There are 2 more on the drives side on the back that hooks up to a vacuum canister that need to be taken off and I think that there is another in the front side of the tank that you just have to squeeze the clip in order to pull it off. Don't forget to unplug the fuel pump wire on the back side of the tank.
Don't know what you want to do, but that is about all it takes to remove the tank and check things out. I got a nice fuel filler neck at a salvage yard for 30 bucks to replace mine rusty one.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Anyone else have this problem, ever?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:11 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Man I don't mean to sound like a dick but get to the point on your posts people will start ignoring your posts if you always type a little story around your intended ?
Anyways next you fill up pull the nozzel out a little and try pumping there. It's worked for me in the past when my car has done what you described
Old 08-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Nah, doesnt work. Tried every position. Actually I filled up yesterday and the car spit gas at me, covered my brand new Underarmour shirt in gasoline.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:56 PM
adahy22
1st Gear Member

first put 93 in your car your so cheap lol
it s a high performance and for 5-7$ more it s worth it in the long run
IMO
Old 08-17-2008, 07:10 PM
GatorDude_97_GT
1st Gear Member

my 98 V6 used to do the same thing.. you just have to find the right way to hold it and then you'll be problem free... it is very embarrassing, but hell, think of it this way, at least ur car is bad ***, it could be a civic....