4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What the heck? Part I.D. and explanation.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 05:49 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

Default What the heck? Part I.D. and explanation.

Kept hearing a "rumble" that resonated with my exhaust at low rpm's in traffic. I was afraid it was drivetrain related because... nevermind. The important thing is I found the problem, but I don't know what it is or why it's "broken". Stick with me a second.

Stick your head under the back of your car and look up and toward your tire. You'll notice something that looks like a horizontally mounted strut attached to the frame rail, and attached to a brace above your axle. I found the one on the passenger side disconnected from the brace and hanging down against the tailpipe. Melted to the shape of the tailpipe.

Anybody have any idea what this thing is or what it does?

When I say disconnected, it looks like someone removed the bolt, and left it there on purpose. Beats all I've ever seen. I called the Ford place and they think they know what I'm talking about and want ~60 for it. Any idea why anyone would disconnect it? In order to move it back into place I'd have to disconnect it from the frame rail because it's too log to get back by the axle. Not sure how it got where it is.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: What the heck? Part I.D. and explanation.

It's a rear axle dampner. It helps to reduce axle hop in corners on a GT. The V6 does not have it. It may have been removed to replace the coil springs (if it's been lowered) or some other kind of rear-end work. Either way, if you're going to have to replace it, might as well replace both of them and get some high performance ones for the same price as stock.

I'm not a GT owner so I haven't looked into where to get those. I'm sure SOMEONE here has a link they could provide.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:12 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

High performance axle dampner? I'm all for that. That would explain why my 2000 doesn't corner like my '96. Cool! I thought it was my imagination.

Old 05-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

It's called a quad shock. Get some control arms and rip those off of there. They're dead weight.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:23 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Acer2428

It's called a quad shock. Get some control arms and rip those off of there. They're dead weight.
More information please. What do they do? Install the same?
Old 05-12-2005, 10:11 PM
00GT00
2nd Gear Member

These are control arms...

Upper Control Arm

Lower Control Arm

Go look under your car again and you will see something similar that is attached to the body and the axle. They hold the axle under the car. Some after market, like the above, are better in design because they do not allow the 'flex' that the stock pieces have. Also the bushings are stiffer so there will be less deflection. All in all it allows the car to bite quicker and harder.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:05 AM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

Cool thanks!! Little more money than I care to spend right now though. Looks like through Summit I'm looking at >$200. Stock replacement's only about $40. Gotta get out from under my convertible before I can do anything else. Paying insurance on two Mustangs is getting expensive!!

Okay, now for a stupid question. How long has it been since Mustangs came with leaf springs? I always wanted a Mustang during the fox body days, but never had the money. Did they have leaf springs?
Old 05-13-2005, 11:31 AM
97STANG
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pichinco

Okay, now for a stupid question. How long has it been since Mustangs came with leaf springs? I always wanted a Mustang during the fox body days, but never had the money. Did they have leaf springs?
proly 1973.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:47 AM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97STANG

proly 1973.
LOL!!

So in reality how much benefit would I gain from the control arms?
Old 05-13-2005, 05:40 PM
00GT00
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97STANG

proly 1973.
LOL!!

So in reality how much benefit would I gain from the control arms?
Hard to say... If you add a nice set of springs and shocks then you will see a drastic improvement over the tank like movement a stock mustang has. If I remember right Control arms should be good for about a .2 - .3 drop on your Quarter mile times.

Quick Reply: What the heck? Part I.D. and explanation.