4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A sound...

Old 08-15-2008, 10:34 AM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

Default A sound...

Just yesterday my car started making a whurring sound, almost like a spun wheel bearing. However, it only happens when I am coasting, and gets a little louder if I take it out of gear. When I press the accelerator, the sound goes away but comes right back if I let off. Any ideas?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:38 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Might just be transmission noise. Do you have an aftermarket shifter? They tend to be a little noisier. Where exactly is the noise coming from?
Old 08-15-2008, 04:55 PM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

Stock shifter. It sounds like the noise is coming from the pass. side rear. The 3.73s have been in the car for about 7k miles without any problems...God I hope it isn't my gears...
Old 08-16-2008, 02:13 AM
91smokedgt
1st Gear Member

sounds like a differential noise on the coast side of ring gear. who installed the gears? what kind, did you have all the bearings replaced or just ring and pinion
Old 08-16-2008, 10:30 AM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 91smokedgt
sounds like a differential noise on the coast side of ring gear. who installed the gears? what kind, did you have all the bearings replaced or just ring and pinion
Well, the guy who used to own the car put them in with my help. However, after it was all put back together he drove it to his parent's house about 100 miles away and it started making terrible clunking sounds. So while he was there, he got a Ford technician to look at it, and fixed the problem. I'm not sure what brand of gears were used, I want to say they are FRPP. And yes, we replaced all the bearings. I can't figure out why, if there was a problem, did it take this long to start making a noise?? I've put like 7 or 8k miles on the car without a problem and now it starts?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:30 PM
91smokedgt
1st Gear Member

it might not be a diff concern then. of course ive seen some weird stuff. might want to check your wheel bearings.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:05 PM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 91smokedgt
it might not be a diff concern then. of course ive seen some weird stuff. might want to check your wheel bearings.
That was the first thing I thought of, but wouldn't the wheel bearings make a constant whine, rather than just when I coast?

Thanks for the responses btw.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:15 PM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy

Well, now the problem is worse...Whenever I downshift the gears whine really bad, what the hell is going on?? Why would they start to whine after 7k miles??
Old 08-20-2008, 11:13 AM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

Any ideas? It's not a constant whine either, it comes and goes depending on the speed of the car.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:46 PM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

Well, I was driving today and heard a loud bang. I parked the car and looked at the diffy, there was a small hole and gear oil leaking out. Now I get to drive my winter beater until it's fixed. I just don't understand how gears could run perfectly smooth for so long, then just blow up...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A sound...