4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Catback exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 08:59 PM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

Default Catback exhaust ?

What type of performance gain would i see on my 98 gt from a catback exhaust? Im not sure what im getting yet im kind of strapped for cash so i guess im gonna buy the brand i can get the cheapest i just want to have that american muscle car sound. Can you just change the exhaust from the catback on these cars or are there other parts you have to change? Also will it hurt low end performance due to a change in back pressure? just trying to find out what i should expect from changing the exhaust. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:39 PM
larlar
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Catback exhaust ?

im not sure on the horse power gain but if you want to change your catback you can just do that. it connects to your h pipe rite after the mufflers. i changed my h pipe to a x pipe with cats then a few months later i went to the magnaflow catback now thats the sound so you can change it i'd keep a eye on ebay i paid 250.00 for my x pipe that was basicly new and i got my catback for 200.00 not bad so keep looking
Old 05-12-2005, 10:11 PM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wildazme

What type of performance gain would i see on my 98 gt from a catback exhaust? Im not sure what im getting yet im kind of strapped for cash so i guess im gonna buy the brand i can get the cheapest i just want to have that american muscle car sound. Can you just change the exhaust from the catback on these cars or are there other parts you have to change? Also will it hurt low end performance due to a change in back pressure? just trying to find out what i should expect from changing the exhaust. Thanks in advance.
NOt much a gain from cat-back alone[&o] maybe 3-5 rwhp......Flows are pretty cheap if you are on a budget. Deep muscle car sound. It's really worth to change your stock h-pipe also....really opens the exhaust up. You could see 10rwhp from a new mid-pipe.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:14 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

catback gains are little to none. like 3HP maybe? nothing you're going to actually notice. you'll notice more of a gain with a new midpipe. still not much there either though. get your catback based on sound. SLP LM2 for the win!!!
Old 05-13-2005, 03:58 AM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

so i really should change to an xpipe and do the catback, are they usually just straight bolt ons or due they have to be custom done? any special size piping to look for?
Old 05-13-2005, 04:18 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wildazme

so i really should change to an xpipe and do the catback, are they usually just straight bolt ons or due they have to be custom done? any special size piping to look for?
So long as you get a set that specifically is for your car your fine. Remeber that if you ever get a set of LT headers your new midpipe won't fit anymore. Also, if your main concern is gains, you arn't going to find much horsepower on a pre PI GT with just a aftercat and a midpipe.

This is something you should be able to do with a good socket set, and some break free lube for the bolts. You will also need a good sawzall to cut the aftercat pipes, as you have to cut the pipes to get them out. Other than that its a breeze.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:06 AM
andy98gt
3rd Gear Member

If you want power you need to just do Long tube headers w/ an X pipe w/ no cats and then a cat back exhaust. Then you'll sound great and feel great. Make sure to get those o2 sensors taken care of to.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:26 PM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

what do you guys think about this exhaust system from jegs? its pretty reasonably priced. if the link doesnt work the part # is 30405 you can see it at www.jegs.com

JEG'S High Performance: JEG'S Cat-Back Exhaust Systems - Ford Mustang
Old 05-13-2005, 06:27 PM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...71&prmenbr=361
Old 05-14-2005, 01:45 AM
04SilverGT
1st Gear Member

I got 40 Series flowmasters welded in and they sounded good but that was all they are good for didn't really notice any of a gain if any probally just 1-2 horsepower on a catback!

Quick Reply: Catback exhaust ?