4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tune needed!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Default Tune needed!!!!!!

I just got done foing a full exhaust you can see the details on my sig but i need a tune cause im running way to rich. Anyone know some good places to order one from i have an xcal 3 btw. Thanks
Old 08-22-2008, 10:06 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

How do you know your running rich? Do you have a wideband? Just cause you smell it doesnt mean you are running rich.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:47 AM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

+1. Those high flow cats may take a while to warm up and start doing their job when you first start up. Check it after you've gone down the road for 10 miles or so.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:14 AM
powerfreak
1st Gear Member

your best bet is finding a dyno-tuner in your area...you'll get more gains than using a mail-order tune. Not sure about NJ, but if you're not too far from Long Island there's a few out there...like Mustang Magic. BUT, since you already have a tuner, check out www.lasotaracing.com.

Last edited by powerfreak; 08-23-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:55 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

I don't know if you solved your problem yet but first try purchasing some MIL (Malfunction Undicator Light) eliminators. You can get them for about $50. They plug into the sensors behind the cats. The computer is noticing the increase in flow due to going from 6 OEM cats and a stock 2 1/4" exhaust to only 2 high flow cats and a 2 1/2" exhaust and is dumping fuel to protect the engine from leaning out and possibly detonating (they are programmed that way). The MIL eliminators should prevent the computer from interfering and you will probably gain a few extra hp since you will be running normal instead of rich. Try that BEFORE you spend loads of cash on a tune.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:17 PM
powerfreak
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeathRattle
I don't know if you solved your problem yet but first try purchasing some MIL (Malfunction Undicator Light) eliminators. You can get them for about $50. They plug into the sensors behind the cats. The computer is noticing the increase in flow due to going from 6 OEM cats and a stock 2 1/4" exhaust to only 2 high flow cats and a 2 1/2" exhaust and is dumping fuel to protect the engine from leaning out and possibly detonating (they are programmed that way). The MIL eliminators should prevent the computer from interfering and you will probably gain a few extra hp since you will be running normal instead of rich. Try that BEFORE you spend loads of cash on a tune.

SURE...but he already has an XCAL3...so for that $$ he can just get a tune written to turn off the rear O2 sensors (and it'll run better).
Old 08-31-2008, 10:29 PM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

i could of swore xcals had an option to turn off the rear o2's. my livewire does.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:57 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

I know the diablosports can.

Humm... Lookey there.
V
Old 08-31-2008, 11:19 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Good point powerfreak. I said that because most shops I know will not just write a tune for you like that. Most of them want to string you along for more money instead of getting you a tune for 20 bucks. They'll want you to give them a list of modifications to your car and then you have to wait a few days because they will tell you that to write a tune is difficult and they have to re-write everything about the car and then it comes out 2-3 times more then the amount they initially quoted and then your car goes rich or lean because they had to F with something in the fuel trims because you can't just turn the code off you have to fix the problem so you take it back to them and it costs more this time and you have to wait another few days and so on...I'd say do it yourself. Buy the eliminators, take 10 minutes, crawl under the car, plug them in, reset the light and off you go. However, if you find a shop that can turn it off and won't B/S or overcharge you then I agree with powerfreak, that would definitely be better...
Old 08-31-2008, 11:28 PM
Miceleb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeathRattle

You dont MIL'; if you have a xcal 3 just turn off your rear 02 sensors.

Quick Reply: Tune needed!!!!!!