4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Idle hang and starting problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:03 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Default Idle hang and starting problems...

Well after I got my new engine I am having some idle and starting problems.

The starting problem is about 30% of the time now when I try to start my car it will turn over like normal and it seems like its going to start and just doesn't fire. I don't know if it is clogged injectors or what?

The other problem I have is with a hanging Idle. The idle wants to hang at about 1500rpm for about 20 seconds and then it will fall back down to about ~850-900rpm. This usually only happens when I am moving.

I am guessing they are related and probablly caused by a sticky IAC but IDK? Input would be great
Old 08-22-2008, 10:09 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I had the same hanging idle problem in moth my car and my wifes. I was able to fix them both in the tune. There was nothing wrong with either IACs
Old 08-22-2008, 10:15 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Well I got a tune from a local tuner and apparently its crap. They also played with my TB set screw. So it was idling at 2500 rpm when moving and I loosened it back to the factory position. And thats where I am now.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:22 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Find out what rpm they set in the tune for idle. Then disconnect the IAC wires and adjust the TB set screw until it idles 100rpms below the rpm its supposed to be. Then plug in the IAC and the idle will be set. As for hanging idle try disconnecting the battery for a bit then just drive around for awhile. It will probably go away once the KAM is learned.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:40 AM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Is there a way I can easily do that. I have a diablosport handheld and I left it in the car (on the passenger seat) assuming that the tuner would make a custom tune for the Predator. But what he actually did was reset the predator so I can use it on another vehicle and tuned the car using an sct.

Now I'm pretty sure I can't adjust the parameters of the sct tune using the diablosport tuner.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:52 AM
russ98stang
2nd Gear Member

disconnect you egr electrical connections, mine was doing the same thing and would idle rought and miss at low rpms. when i unhooked the connections going to the egr silonoid (i think that is what it is called) it stopped completley so i think i have a clogged egr pipe or faulty egr equipment.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:03 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

EGR thats the exhaust gas recirculation..... that was actually giving you problems?

Also OX that procedure that you listed will that actually set the IAC or will it set the throttle body set screw?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:28 PM
russ98stang
2nd Gear Member

yeah, i figured it out after reading another topic about a week or two ago when the "ford mechanic" had the same problem with his. i guess it is acting like a bad vacume leak when i have the system hooked up but runs pretty well when its unplugged. Check out my topic i just posted, i got videos and a really bad ticking noise.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:35 PM
cassimus
3rd Gear Member

just spend 50$ and buy you a IAC thats what fixed my problem and i had the same exact issue and actually mine acted up more after i cleaned it
Old 08-23-2008, 03:48 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

but what I find weird is this only started after I installed my new engine....

Quick Reply: Idle hang and starting problems...