4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help! Car is hijacked by out of state dealer, pcm question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:20 PM
theway146
1st Gear Member

Default Help! Car is hijacked by out of state dealer, pcm question

9/20; THE CHECK IS IN!

Oh ya, we have closure! Not exactly what I was asking for but reasonable!

9/16 UPDATE: Well, last week I called the GM and got his voicemail, left him my email and later that day he emailed me a letter he had just mailed out. He apologized for the mistake, but drew a line in the sand on my requests. In a nutshell, he is crediting the full $469 for the computer and sending a check for $500, the amount for the last two rentals. I am content with this resolution. Now, I have yet to see the check so this could not be over yet...

EDIT: SATURDAY UPDATE;

Well I sent a detailed 3 page letter to the GM of this Ford Dealership, describing essentially what is outlined in post 23 and requesting $700 plus in rental reimbursements and $500 for loss of time, inconvenience, and "pain and suffering"

On a brighter note, my bro and I threw in the Steeda springs I had ordered weeks ago and the Mach One front lip!

EDIT: FRIDAY UPDATE; This dealership is OWNED, SEE POST 23, MY CASE IS BORDERING ON FRAUD AND INCOMPETANCE FOR SURE!

Well I broke down 200 miles in on a 500 mile roadtrip and the initial problem was completely unrelated to the PCM (pulley broke, serp came off, saw temp gauge go up, immediately pulled over, car was running GREAT when this happened, no idiot lights at all).

So finally after a week at the Ford dealership in Valdosta the pulleys and timing belt cover get fixed.

Then the service advisor tells me I need a new COMPUTER, ie pcm. He said all their testing indicated the coils are fine, that the computer is sending bad stuff to the coils. Well, that is another part not covered on my extended warranty of course....

Any thoughts or suggestions....

I had the opportunity to start the car when I was swapping rentals and;

The SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is on and it is idling rough, kinda like when you have a fouled plug or pull a plug wire or two....

He says they have to get it running well before they can leak test the cooling system (all the radiator fluid leaked out) and fix the power steering pump (these items incidentally are covered under the warranty)....

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by theway146; 09-20-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:35 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

so a pulley coming off caused the computer to get fried, and the pwr steering/cooling systems to spring leaks? i can see i pulley causing damage since its spinning so fast but damn, i'd almost say the ford dealer is pulling your chain
Old 08-24-2008, 01:42 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

can you drive it back the 200 miles to your own dealer and have them look at it?
Old 08-24-2008, 02:24 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
so a pulley coming off caused the computer to get fried, and the pwr steering/cooling systems to spring leaks? i can see i pulley causing damage since its spinning so fast but damn, i'd almost say the ford dealer is pulling your chain
nice car thats a mean blue color

and OP

not to be a jackass or anything but this is probably a OT question.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

I broke down in my Chevy truck away from home as well. I took it to a dealer because I didn't know any of the local repair places. They replaced tons of stuff and told me I had to get a full tune up because I wasn't running GM plugs. They assured me it was ready to go except for that. I tried to get the truck home and broke down again about 30 miles later. I was about 40 miles from home and had the truck towed home. My mechanic told me that some of the stuff they changed probably didn't need changing and that there was nothing wrong with the tune. I had a plugged catalytic converter. He said it was easy to test for, they just didn't bother.

If you can, get it back to a mechanic you trust.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Leak testing the cooling system was always done with the engine shut down and using a small thing like a tire pump with a guage.Possible scam!!!
The power steering pump would probably need bled after replacement so that one could be possible.Never had to do one so IDK.

Make sure the leaking coolant didn't end up in any of the spark plug holes.This could be causing the miss you refered to.

The PCM not covered by an extended warranty????? WOW,,,these ex. warrantys are worth their weight in gold.Why would anyone want to have an expensive thing like a PCM covered by a warranty??????

A dishonest mechanic is going to be hard to pin down since most of the stuff they do is almost voodoo anyhow.Once it's fixed there's no way to retrace the path that was taken and most people are so happy to get on their way they don't check anything further.If you can,get the car back to your home base so at least you'll have peace of mind.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:55 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Ford Tech's get paid less for doing Warranty Jobs and he is could have made your car run rough and tell you it needs a new PCM so he can do some non warranty work on your car and get more money for his work he did.
I only assume this because you said before it broke it ran fine and the problem you had can not make the PCM go bad.
If I where you have it taken somewhere else to get finished.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:11 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I would definetly get your car out of there. They are lying to you.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:27 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

+1, sounds like bull****.

"hai guys, my headlight went out on my car"

"Well...your transmission clutches have gone bad, as well as your ear end differential seals."

ugh.

Last edited by 99GTvert; 08-25-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:51 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

How many miles on the car?

I believe the PCM might be covered by the Federal Emissions Warranty...

Quick Reply: Help! Car is hijacked by out of state dealer, pcm question