4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Transmission Tech Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:14 PM
jbors1
1st Gear Member

Default Transmission Tech Question

I have a 2000 gt Auto. i want to do a t3650 swap but not sure what all is required as far as parts go. also how tough and expensive will this swap be with everything said and done. Thanks

Josh
Old 08-24-2008, 09:16 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

It will cost alot and is a very difficult job.
You will need
Tranny
clutch
flywheel
TO bearing
pilot bearing
wiring harness
tranny mount
pedal assembely
computer from a manual
center counel from a manual
clutch cable and mounts
engine block plate
and I'm sure there is more that i cant think of right now
Old 08-24-2008, 09:30 PM
jlg32281
2nd Gear Member

It's a better deal to sell your car and buy one with a standard, just my opinion.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:59 PM
jbors1
1st Gear Member

if i could afford to sell my stang i would. but im a little backwards right now.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:32 AM
03FstStngKB
2nd Gear Member

J/C as to why you would want to go with manual? Like most people are saying the best method is to just find a car with a manual. Autos can be built to stomp or romp on a stock or lightly modified 5-speed especially if you have gears. I have 4.30 gear's in right now w/o the converter and the thing rips off the line pretty good. I can't imagine what it's going to be like w/the converter! If it is a matter of you wanting to be in control of the rpms in each gear, then what you are trying to do I guess could justify the swap...but from a performance stand point autos can easily compete with a 5-speed when built up properly.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:59 PM
jbors1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by OneqwkStang
J/C as to why you would want to go with manual? Like most people are saying the best method is to just find a car with a manual. Autos can be built to stomp or romp on a stock or lightly modified 5-speed especially if you have gears. I have 4.30 gear's in right now w/o the converter and the thing rips off the line pretty good. I can't imagine what it's going to be like w/the converter! If it is a matter of you wanting to be in control of the rpms in each gear, then what you are trying to do I guess could justify the swap...but from a performance stand point autos can easily compete with a 5-speed when built up properly.
i have always had a manual car. to me it is more fun to drive, and i like being in control of the gear. i also feel safer when i can downshift and slow down using rpm and brake instead of just brake. but its a personal preferance i guess. ive heard about the transgo kit but not really sure what it does and where/how much it costs to get and install. thanks for the feed back.

josh
Old 08-26-2008, 03:40 AM
03FstStngKB
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jbors1
i have always had a manual car. to me it is more fun to drive, and i like being in control of the gear. i also feel safer when i can downshift and slow down using rpm and brake instead of just brake. but its a personal preferance i guess. ive heard about the transgo kit but not really sure what it does and where/how much it costs to get and install. thanks for the feed back.

josh
You're welcome. I can totally understand where you are coming from. I am always manually upshifting and downshifting with my auto. Some say it is not good on the transmission but I do it all the time and have had no problems. I have my pressures increased on my diablo and the transmission will pin you pretty good on the 1-2 shift and scoot you back on the 2-3. Now when I am racing it pretty good I leave it in drive just for saftey sakes but I have heard all kinds of opinions on whether or not is safe to shift it occasionaly or whether you can do it all the time, either way for me I have done it and will continue to do it.

If you want to shift the car faster...do the j-mod...it is generally known as the safest method of making your transmission shift quicker and firmer. Shift kits like Transgo will work but from what I have seen in the last two years of reading posts about those kind of shift kits is that they have made the 4r70w transmission fail. Some have no problems and some do. I am not saying Transgo sucks. I had one on my 91 AOD GT 5.0 and it was so much better than the B&M kit that I had on there. I also had my auto beefed up too but at any rate Transgo relies more on increasing global line pressure which results in the super firm shifts and the j-mod relies more on opening up some of the shifting orfices that are in the valvebody for quicker fluid release resulting in the same super firm shifts that transgo provides. You can google j-mod if you want to know more about what it is and does?

Sounds like you would benefit more from a manual application. One thing for sure is when I get my 3700 stall in with my 4.30 gears and drag radials that I already have...if you compare me up to a mostly stock to lightly modified 5-speed 99-04 stang...you better have some quick arms to be able to beat me and no way in hell are you going to beat the computers shift...no human will ever be able to match it. But as you said manuals give you full control where as autos make the decision for you.