4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

whats the best tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:26 AM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

Kumho Ecsta ASX are a good all-season tire, dry traction leaves a little on the table but they run well in up to 3 inches of snow. That's what I have on my winter beater rims. While the Continentals are good tires they are really expensive and wear quickly. General Tire is a sub-division of Continental and I have heard good things about the Altimax HP all-season.

If you have the money and desire the best thing for our cars is to have a nice set of wheels with ultra high performance summer tires and a set of crap rims with all seasons or winter tires.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:27 PM
hack_239
1st Gear Member

Go with Michelin. They are a little pricier but well worth the money. The old addage holds true when it comes to tires...you DO get what you pay for.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:21 PM
E_LOW
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dubarado
Eagle and BFgoodrich make great tires... I think going with a summer tire is your best bet for the mustang because of the fact that it needs a little softer compound to really hook, as well as a stiff sidewall because our cars are heavy and the bodyroll with stock springs really bends that sidewall.

If you have snow in your area then I guess you can go with an all-season but a summer tire should be fine in any weather as long as you drive prepared for the inclement weather, such as taking off in second, not making quick movements, keeping distance and feathering the throttle so as not to break traction (I'm sure you know all of this, but it doesn't hurt to state it for the younger people reading this thread)

but yea, all in all goodyear and BFgoodrich make great tires... goodyear if you can afford em, and bfgoodrich for a budget.

P.S. I love my BFgoodrich g-force sports... great tire with great wear and awesome bite. better than the gatorbacks that came with it, and a longer treadwear, too.

the sports are actually the ones im gonna run. dont see much snow in tx, so as long as they hook in dry, drive good in wet, and last a decent amount of tread life im cool. how are yours wearing?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

I have eagle F1's All Season.. they are great. They make 0 noise but theyh are also brand freakin new. The tread on them has serious bite too. Spray a hose over the tread its cool it shows how easy it wicks away water like nothing.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:52 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OzzDOA
Kumho Ecsta ASX are a good all-season tire, dry traction leaves a little on the table but they run well in up to 3 inches of snow. That's what I have on my winter beater rims. While the Continentals are good tires they are really expensive and wear quickly. General Tire is a sub-division of Continental and I have heard good things about the Altimax HP all-season.

If you have the money and desire the best thing for our cars is to have a nice set of wheels with ultra high performance summer tires and a set of crap rims with all seasons or winter tires.
The General Exclaim UHP is a real sleeper tire. Very inexpensive and similar to the Contis but less expensive.
They grip extremely well and seem to do well in rain and light snow.
Wear factor is also very good.

The downside is that they have a soft sidewall (not tread!) so they handle a little differently than the stock gatorbacks.
You will NOT feel that "riding on rails" sensation you get with the higher priced tires however, the handling seems just as good only not as, how should I put it, tight..IOW on the same cloverleafs I don't squeal at all with the Generals but like i said it doesn't feel like riding on rails.
It also doesn't feel like riding on rocks which the stock gatorbacks do.

A lot of people like them. They are rated very good on Tirerack
Some people hate them. Read the reviews..Squishy is biggest complaint.

I've used Kuhmos and lower priced Goodyears and these blow the doors off both of them.

Spend a little more and get Dunlop SP or BF Goodrich I can't think of the model but Sport something or other...Not the high end stuff...

With tires, it's sad to say that in general you do get what you pay for.
It all depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:59 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT
Dubarado, I'll have to disagree with the comment that summer tires are good for any weather. My car had Kumho summer tires on it when I bought it. I have over 40 years experience of driving in all sorts of winter conditions (including South Dakota blizzards and high mountain snow storms) and almost got stuck in a parking lot on a half inch of snow. I put ultimate performance all season tires on it and have had no problem since.

I believe that summer tires are the primary reason Mustangs have such a bad reputation for winter driving.
Same here!
I got stuck in the hills of Vermont with the stang and stock gatorbacks.
It wasn't supposed to snow and I am from NYS and have the same experience driving in snow that you have.
This was like an inch of snow, maybe, and I could barely get out of the driveway of the hotel where I was staying.

To be honest I was amazed it was that bad.

And yes, I have 35+ years of driving rear wheel drive cars in the snow.

The Mustang is truly a different beast with summer tires.
Letting off the brake at a green light and the car would pretty much go sideways without even stepping on the gas. It's an automatic BTW.

Never again....
Old 09-01-2008, 03:44 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by E_LOW
the sports are actually the ones im gonna run. dont see much snow in tx, so as long as they hook in dry, drive good in wet, and last a decent amount of tread life im cool. how are yours wearing?

They're wearing GREAT!! I feel so much more confident running on them over the stock gatorbacks... Although I haven't been doing nearly as much powerslides and burnouts, they're holding up fairly well when I do decide to have some fun!