4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

whats the best tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:36 AM
E_LOW
1st Gear Member

Default whats the best tire?

so i need to get a set of rear tires for my stang. gotta get them through sears cause my wife has gift cards to sears we need to get rid of. which out of all these would you get/ be the best ones? im looking for a tire that i can run all year long and hook up pretty decent. im running kumho up front right now, i would like matching tires, but would rather have the better tire than the matching. wanting one that hooks, drives good in the rain, and last i good amount of time. thanx in advance for your advice.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_...Tires_All+Tires
Old 08-26-2008, 07:36 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

I just looked it up on your link. Sears sells the Continential ContiExtremeContact all season ultra high performance tire. It runs good in rain and light snow. I replaced a set of Kumhos with them and couldn't be more pleased. They definitely hook better than the Kumhos. They are rated superior for dry traction on Tire Rack (see link below).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ExtremeContact
Old 08-26-2008, 09:14 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Yeah I bought my car a few months ago and it came with 245/45/17 Kumho Ecsta ASX's and they don't seem to grip very well.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:53 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

BFG g-force KWDs Best street tire I've ever run. They hook pretty well and you can def run them all year long without issues. And they look bad ***
Old 08-26-2008, 01:57 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

I have been very happy with my Eagle F1's
Old 08-26-2008, 05:57 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

Eagle and BFgoodrich make great tires... I think going with a summer tire is your best bet for the mustang because of the fact that it needs a little softer compound to really hook, as well as a stiff sidewall because our cars are heavy and the bodyroll with stock springs really bends that sidewall.

If you have snow in your area then I guess you can go with an all-season but a summer tire should be fine in any weather as long as you drive prepared for the inclement weather, such as taking off in second, not making quick movements, keeping distance and feathering the throttle so as not to break traction (I'm sure you know all of this, but it doesn't hurt to state it for the younger people reading this thread)

but yea, all in all goodyear and BFgoodrich make great tires... goodyear if you can afford em, and bfgoodrich for a budget.

P.S. I love my BFgoodrich g-force sports... great tire with great wear and awesome bite. better than the gatorbacks that came with it, and a longer treadwear, too.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:03 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Dubarado, I'll have to disagree with the comment that summer tires are good for any weather. My car had Kumho summer tires on it when I bought it. I have over 40 years experience of driving in all sorts of winter conditions (including South Dakota blizzards and high mountain snow storms) and almost got stuck in a parking lot on a half inch of snow. I put ultimate performance all season tires on it and have had no problem since.

I believe that summer tires are the primary reason Mustangs have such a bad reputation for winter driving.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

IMHO, either buy a summer tire or forget it.
Now, if you live in an area where it snows, then that sucks, you'll probably have to go all season.
You want a tire that sticks well at the track, but does well on the rain? just won't happen.
I haven't really had problems with my summer tires in the rain and they are BALD
Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

driving summer tires in the winter is never a good idea, on a budget it can be done but you risk loosing traction and tire damage. its a good idea to run all seasons if you dont have a set of winter tires. especially if it is you daily driver.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:05 AM
cash166

BFG g-force KWDs ,great tire ,I love mine and look great,but if you have snow forget it.

Quick Reply: whats the best tire?