4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2002 GT died while slowing down to stop.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Willy Mo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dan04COBRA
I don't know why cleaning the IAC is offered as a solution. Cleaning the IAC rarely helps solve the problem.

*****, IAC failures on New Edge's are as common as pumping gas every 220 miles. Having the clutch depressed and the engine cutting out is a tell-tale sign of a IAC failure. They fail for most everyone at some point or another. Go ahead and replace it, if it doesn't fix the problem, understand it's a well spent 60 bucks and you'll not have to worry about it for a long time to come.

I'm confident it's your IAC.

ok so should I just have the dealer fix it, since there is still warranty on it or should I go out and do it myself? and no I do not have any thing done to it yet its bone stock.
Thanks for the help
Old 09-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Willy Mo
1st Gear Member

I replaced the IAC. It still idles a lil rough, It hasn't died on me yet but it has dropped down below 500 rpm a couple times after I push the clutch and rolling to a stop. It actually seems to do it more at higher speed. Like cruising a 55 and pushing the clutch in to stop at a stop light vs cruising at 25 and cruising to a stop. But that may be because of the rpm difference at 55 mph and 25 mph.
Please help! Its really annoying to have my 14500 mile car to have a problem like this.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:36 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

Im not going to lie the car maybe low mileage but in away I would rather have a higher mileage than one with low low miles because sitting up will ruin a car. Also you could have some bad gas in the tank from sitting up.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Willy Mo
1st Gear Member

well i bought it from a dealer and I have ran almost two tanks of gas through it. Do you think injector cleaner will help? I mean there is only so many things it could be...... Injectors, vacuum leak, dead spot in the TPS, MAF, o2 sensors? spark plugs or other ignition parts....? I am an automotive major, but this problem is weird. I thought the IAC was the problem, but now I think its a vacuum leak or ignition and/or fuel problem.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:36 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

Have you taken it to see if you have any codes in it I dont beleave it would be an O2 sensor that would cause you to run rich or lean. Pull your MAF off and see if it is has dirt on the element. I dont beleave it is an ignition problem either sounds like a fuel problem when it cuts off does it start right back up or does it take a minute. Injector cleaner my help but if you went with that get either sea foam or amsoil pi or redlin si 1 i think i have had good luck with those. you may also want to try a fuel filter it may fix your problem but i bet it could use one.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:42 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

I had this issue. When I got my car back from having LTs/dyno tuned, I have yet to have this issue. I had already purchased a new IAC valve before, and while it did seem to help, it still happened a few times unfortunately (some people have said it fixed their idle issue...).

When I got my car back from the shop, the tuner said they removed the EGR crap from my plenum....which may or may not have something to do with the idle issue. Just putting that out there, in case you plan on getting a tune in the future.

Since you said your car is still on the warrenty, I'd take it in and see what they tell you. Has it stalled out since you installed the new one?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Willy Mo
1st Gear Member

well it hasn't thrown a code yet. I mean the engine light came on when the engine died but that is normal. Just like if you had the key on but the engine not running. The car started right up after every time it died.
My girlfriends father (who has been a mechanic for years) told me that he has seen the EGR system cause a lot of problems on fords. So maybe something wrong with the EGR system. It has not stalled since I installed the new IAC yet. but like I said it has dropped below 500 rpm quite a few times.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:34 PM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

*****, Don't stress too much. This is a very common problem. I would say that the IAC needs to be replaced once every 10,000 miles or so. I was worried sick when it happened to me so I know what you are going through. My car also does it above 55mph most of the time. Cleaning the IAC is usaully a band-aid fix and may help for a couple thousand miles. I have heard that is actually the electrical connection that fails or shorts on the IAC. When you push your clutch in your engine is relying 100% on the Idle Air Control Valve. If the little valve inside it gets stuck or is gunked up it will not function correctly. It is so embarrassing rolling to a stop light and having your car die on you. Replace the IAC and call it a day. There is a sticky somewhere on this forum that has tons of input, look it up. Good luck!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Willy Mo
1st Gear Member

I thank you all for the help, but as stated before I replaced the IAC yesterday. and it still runs funny, rough idle and the rpms have dropped below 500 a couple times after pushing the clutch in.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Everyone should chill out with throwing random idea's at *****, it's clear he doesn't really know or understand what is going on...

*****, if the car is under warranty, you should let the dealer troubleshoot the problem. It sounds like your car has a couple of problems. The new IAC keeps your car from stalling, you probably had an IAC that was sticking slightly and whatever the other problem is, just made it worse. Since your car is idling rough, you are going to have some sort of spark/ignition issue, maybe even something to do with your MAF if your car ends up stalling out again. You could have a fuel delivery problem, like a filthy fuel injector or even a clogging fuel filter.

Quick Reply: 2002 GT died while slowing down to stop.