4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just bought my first stang, Where do I begin as far as mods?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by silverstang1996
Then you would of just got a V6 haha. Might as well have it all with the v8 car, anyways take some time getting used to it before you start doing more stuff to it, I know my almost stock 96 GT was like the fastest thing I was in for awhile till I started learning new things.

Being 17 this is deffinetly the most powerful thing i've ever driven, but I'm getting use to it. I guess im looking for simple mods, that will help performance but not totally burn a hole through my pocket.

What type of CAI should I be looking for, on a few sites, they range from 90$ to 200$, what is the difference, or is it just brand name?

to answer a few questions above.

They're longtube headers, the car is already lowered as well (forgot to tell yall that)

And I'm not looking to drag race, just have the nicest car possible, sound, looks, and performance wise.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:59 PM
MachWon04
1st Gear Member

I'm going to play devils advocate here and suggest you hold off on mods and spend you're money/time reading up on the car and modding and hitting up some nights at the drag strip and some autocross/HPDE events. Get used to the car, the power, and find out what direction you want to go with it (handling or power). The mod bug is hard to resist though. I only have one autocross event under my belt and I'm already itching for stickier tires and CC plates.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Capt Hair
Being 17 this is deffinetly the most powerful thing i've ever driven, but I'm getting use to it. I guess im looking for simple mods, that will help performance but not totally burn a hole through my pocket.

What type of CAI should I be looking for, on a few sites, they range from 90$ to 200$, what is the difference, or is it just brand name?

to answer a few questions above.

They're longtube headers, the car is already lowered as well (forgot to tell yall that)

And I'm not looking to drag race, just have the nicest car possible, sound, looks, and performance wise.
Being that you're 17 and smart enough to conjugate verbs, which seems to be increasingly more difficult for our new young forum users, I'd suggest just learning everything about your car first. Get some more seat time and concentrate on looks more than speed. You said it yourself, it's the most powerful thing you've driven, do the smart things first for your age and experience, what ever you feel you're ready for. If wrenching is your thing then have fun but remember the more Hp you have, generally the harder you drive it, which normally equals more maintenance and less $$.

I saved my Mod money for Road trips. They are great for increasing skill levels and responsibility. I used to take off every other weekend as a kid with a friend or family member and I'm glad I did.

As far as CAI, they are all about the same. Just get what looks nicest under the hood OR go for the more expensive JTL if you really want to squeeze the extra 1hp out of the intake.

Just an old mans thoughts. :lol
Old 08-29-2008, 06:17 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Being that you're 17 and smart enough to conjugate verbs, which seems to be increasingly more difficult for our new young forum users, I'd suggest just learning everything about your car first. Get some more seat time and concentrate on looks more than speed. You said it yourself, it's the most powerful thing you've driven, do the smart things first for your age and experience, what ever you feel you're ready for. If wrenching is your thing then have fun but remember the more Hp you have, generally the harder you drive it, which normally equals more maintenance and less $$.

I saved my Mod money for Road trips. They are great for increasing skill levels and responsibility. I used to take off every other weekend as a kid with a friend or family member and I'm glad I did.

As far as CAI, they are all about the same. Just get what looks nicest under the hood OR go for the more expensive JTL if you really want to squeeze the extra 1hp out of the intake.

Just an old mans thoughts. :lol
wdfux rong wit mai english?

I agree with driving your car a little bit before you mod it, im glad i did, but now that im going to be at the ripe old age of 18 in less than a month i think its time for some MOAR POWA!

And like he said JLT = pretty/ might actually do something.(Might be able to feel it if its part of full bolt-ons, but CAIs sound pretty cool. Welcome to the stang family

and Sxynerd what gun are you pointing @ me in ur avatar?

oh BTW someone who has alot of time or feels like it, should make a sticky for threads like this, they pop up alot, like a list of bolt ons/ gears and what they do, i'd do it, but i just don't feel like it lol.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
wdfux rong wit mai english?

and Sxynerd what gun are you pointing @ me in ur avatar?
An M16 the picture is from when I was in the big sand box the last time.