4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hydrogen

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:43 PM
GT2ENVY
2nd Gear Member

Default Hydrogen

Has anyone dealt with hydro in the stangs? I know a guy who has a 63 falcon, 347 ci, heads n cam etc. He was getting 12 miles to the gallon. With the hydro he jumped to 18. He sells the kit for $250. It seems very basic. I was told that it's cleaner (emissions wise) and higher octane.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:29 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

youtube hydrogen booster. You'll find alot of vids showing how they work and will be able to see how there made. I was looking into this myself for my saturn (beater) but just was lazy and never built it.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:33 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I suspect it's snake oil. As bad as sales are for the automakers, if this really worked worth a damn, ALL of them would be all over it, especially the Japanese auto industry. This thing probably ranks up there with the forum favorite Turbonator.

Buyer beware
Old 08-29-2008, 10:14 AM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by 04BlueGT
I suspect it's snake oil. As bad as sales are for the automakers, if this really worked worth a damn, ALL of them would be all over it, especially the Japanese auto industry. This thing probably ranks up there with the forum favorite Turbonator.

Buyer beware
Yeah I agree. If multi-billion dollar car corporations can't find a effecienct way to use Hydrogen energy in a vehicle I seriously doubt Joe Smoe can't using crap he found in his garage.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:04 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It's "Brown's gas", "HHO", "oxyhydrogen", "knallgas", yada, yada, yada...

Been around off and on for well over 50 years, as others have stated it's a load of crap--if it worked the automakers would indeed be "all over it".
Old 08-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

"There is never something for nothing; Hard work and cold coins are the only things that make the cars go and politicians run."

Last edited by Sxynerd; 08-29-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:39 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Didn't Toyota just manufacture a hybrid that really did run on H2O?? Maybe I didn't pay attention to the news story, but I thought one of the major companies just did it, and released a model with a modern version...

JT
Old 08-29-2008, 05:54 PM
hawks05
4th Gear Member

i know honda has a car that produces clean water vapor which is the car that runs off of hydrogen. I was out working in SA and at the place we were staying at they made hydrogen cells. the problem they came across with it is, it becomes too hot and the cells start to leak. it also pulls about 30amps from your car battery just to make hydrogen from those cells. also you need true stainless steel to make it work right.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:19 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by GodAmGT00
Didn't Toyota just manufacture a hybrid that really did run on H2O?? Maybe I didn't pay attention to the news story, but I thought one of the major companies just did it, and released a model with a modern version...

JT
No, it ran on hydrogen not water--and had a silly "happy-homeowner" hydrogen generator that unfortunately consumed more electrical power than could be retrieved from the hydrogen it generated.

Pure hydrogen does not exist in nature and is therefore is not a fuel. It must be recovered from whatever compound you choose to recover it from and breaking those molecular bonds takes energy.

It's "promise" as a clean fuel of the future is 110% BS, unless you assume that the energy to produce is sparkling green and free. It's sort of like "plug-in" rechargeable cars that sound great until you realise there's a smelly old coal-fired plant someplace making the electricity.

And that there are transmission, and conversion losses all the way between that smelly old plant and your house, and the DC you're filling up those batteries with--which BTW are great big boxes full of acid, lead, and other heavy metals that will have to be disposed of someday...
Old 08-29-2008, 06:25 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Cliffy: You sound like a voice of reason..

Realistically though, what's the comparison of (energy expelled)/(energy earned) from say a standard grade of Petro vs. Hydrogen??

Nowadays, they have commercials on TV about how Coal is cleaner than burning oil (which I do believe to an extent)..

Any energy we've produced thus far, has had many more implications to being dirty.. Coal, Oil, nuclear, hydrogen, etc.. The only one that I know of that has a minimal initial impact is Wind energy, only because you'll have to destroy a duck's home, to build the tower.. Animals/Avions adapt better..

JT

Quick Reply: Hydrogen