4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what happens when you dont use a tourqe wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:17 PM
russ98stang
2nd Gear Member

Default what happens when you dont use a tourqe wrench?

The idiot ****s everything up, right? Ive been trying to figure out what is wrong with my car for about two months now and i think i found it. I had this mechanic do the pi swap for me and paid him 1600 dollars after he got done ****ing me. he got my car running the first time and said my intake was cracked.... so i went and gave him another.... well ive been hearing a sucking noise like a vacume leak and my car has been skipping or misfiring the whole time along with the tapping sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B-DWkxdIMg heard hear. well i took it back to him today and come to find out he let this dude my age (22) do the work. after talking and bull****ting with him about an hour, he said he dosnt use a tourqe wrench for anything but the head bolts and some bottom end stuff.
So if this guy tourqed the intake down too hard, this could cause a small leak just enough for it to run like crap, but enough to be drivable? How easy is it too crack them, or am i just overreacting?
Old 08-29-2008, 07:25 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Unfortunately, I've worked with a lot of mechanics that have a mantra of: Tight's tight, too tight's broke... Sounds like you had one of these guys work on your car..

Unlike the saying, there's no replacement, for doing the work yourself and knowing it's right (if you follow the directions).. That way, you only have yourself to blame, and no need for frivilous law suits, or anger at anyone other than yourself..

It is very possible that the young buck may have over tightened some of those intake bolts.. In fact, it's more than likely that could've caused your issue.. You should have the manifold pulled, and check for leaks, most of which will be apparent by just looking.. Did he offer a warranty??

JT
Old 08-29-2008, 07:44 PM
russ98stang
2nd Gear Member

Yep, he warranties all of his work.........Until you come back with a problem! thats why im a little upset. he keeps telling me that they were already like that when i brought them too him since i pulled them from a cars that have been wrecked. So i dont know if hiring a lawyer is going to do anything since ill probally sink another couple grand into one of those con artist also.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:00 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Well, I wouldn't dis-count a lawyer's trump card: Title alone.. See if you can bounce what you've got going on, against a decent business lawyer, and see what they say.. It's possible you may have a case and not even know it.. It could go the other way too, that's why you don't want to pay retention fees for a lawyer that's not in the "know" of business acts...

JT
Old 08-29-2008, 09:31 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

If the part itself broke you really have no case. A mechanic doesnt have to warranty parts the he doesnt make. Especially parts on a sports car. He only has to warranty his workmanship.

I also never use a torque wrench on anything above the shortblock. Its all in lbs up there and you can tell when your tight enough.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

He used German specs to tighten it down. Goood-en Tight.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:21 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

LOL Thats funny
Old 08-29-2008, 10:46 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

That mechanic should never touch another car!

oxford, i sent you a pm! Read it and get back to me
Old 08-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02 Ninja
That mechanic should never touch another car!

oxford, i sent you a pm! Read it and get back to me
Old 08-29-2008, 11:32 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
aww how cute

Quick Reply: what happens when you dont use a tourqe wrench?