4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I gotta problem.. can ya help?

Old 08-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

Question I gotta problem.. can ya help?

So i rebuilt my engine and now am in the process of re assembly. I had my short block assembled for me so all i gotta do is install my cams to heads and put my heads on my block, and then the timing.

My issue at hand is with the cams and timing.

I had MMR port (stage 2) and poilish my heads. Im putting my stock cams back on until i move to VA in december. But what i dont know is when im putting my cams back in the heads is there a certian way like angle or degree they gotta be at??

And there arises my next issue when i was moving my timing from my apartment to house i wrapped them in towels and my marks are GONE! doh

Im having my neigbhor help my asemble my engine and install it. He has a shop and works on stangs alot. But never done a 99-04 engine rebuild.

What do i do since my timing marks i made are gone??

If anyone can help me out that would be sweet!! i really dont want to have a shop build the rest of my engine... $$$$$$

haha thanks guys

dave
Old 08-30-2008, 03:14 PM
myslow2002gt
3rd Gear Member

Don't worry about the wiped off marks you made, you don't need them.

First off, relax as this part of the job is NOT that hard, although many make it to be. If you need specific help, PM me and I'll walk you through it.

For now, install the cams in the cylinder heads (without the cam followers) and torque down the cam caps. They are to be torqued 89 in/lbs (not ft/lbs). Once you have that done, and the heads are on the shortblock you can begin timing the engine.

Install and torque the cam gears onto the cams. Then take both of your timing chains and laying them out on a flat piece of wood, cardboard, whatever. Fold the chains in half and the 1 chain link on each end that is now vertical place a mark on it (I use paint pens). Do this for both chains.

Now, slide the crank gear onto the snout of the crank (the keyway in the gear will slide over the woodruff key on the crank). Turn the crank until the timing dot on the gear is facing the 6 o'clock position.

Now you can install the chains. Take the first one and install it with the chain link you marked, lining up with the timing dot on the cam gear. Then slide the other end onto the crank gear, lining that end of the chain link to the dot on the crank gear (that's still at 6 o'clock position). Then install your tensioners.

It's hard to write every little step out, but if you need more just PM me and I'll give you specifics.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:35 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I can email you the head assembly procedure (includes cam timing) from the 2003 shop manual, it's a 1MB pdf file. Send me a PM with your email address...
Old 08-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

Talking Thanks!!!! So!!!! Much!!!!

Thank you so much! Im going to print this out and once i get home today im gonna try it out. If i do need anymore help ill just PM ya. Thanks again!

dave

Originally Posted by myslow2002gt
Don't worry about the wiped off marks you made, you don't need them.

First off, relax as this part of the job is NOT that hard, although many make it to be. If you need specific help, PM me and I'll walk you through it.

For now, install the cams in the cylinder heads (without the cam followers) and torque down the cam caps. They are to be torqued 89 in/lbs (not ft/lbs). Once you have that done, and the heads are on the shortblock you can begin timing the engine.

Install and torque the cam gears onto the cams. Then take both of your timing chains and laying them out on a flat piece of wood, cardboard, whatever. Fold the chains in half and the 1 chain link on each end that is now vertical place a mark on it (I use paint pens). Do this for both chains.

Now, slide the crank gear onto the snout of the crank (the keyway in the gear will slide over the woodruff key on the crank). Turn the crank until the timing dot on the gear is facing the 6 o'clock position.

Now you can install the chains. Take the first one and install it with the chain link you marked, lining up with the timing dot on the cam gear. Then slide the other end onto the crank gear, lining that end of the chain link to the dot on the crank gear (that's still at 6 o'clock position). Then install your tensioners.

It's hard to write every little step out, but if you need more just PM me and I'll give you specifics.