4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which tuner to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 AM
finally03gt

Default Which tuner to buy???

OK, I bought an SCT selectable chip and am very disappointed. I had a little rattleing under load and at the top and the shifts were waaayyy too hard. I sent it back to be tweaked, and lost 2 mpg and got stock shifts. All this said, I'm now looking at flash programmers, but which one. Diablo, SCT..... some one help!!!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:43 PM
karrarararararar
1st Gear Member

i've got a sniper and i'm pretty happy with it and would highly recommend it
Old 09-03-2008, 12:58 PM
finally03gt

What type of end user flexibility do you have? Especially concerned with auto trans shift parameters
Old 09-03-2008, 03:17 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Sniper is the most adjustable one on the market now.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:34 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The Sniper Special Forces package is the best if you are willing to invest time in learning how to use it. It sounds from your criticisms of the mail-order tunes that you would be satisfied with what the Sniper SF offers.

I would also strongly recommend a wideband O2 sensor if you are at all serious about DIY tuning, without one you will not really be able to dial-in fueling--in fact you probably shouldn't even try...

I just replaced my 7-old NGK Powerdex unit with a permanently installed Innovate LC-1 and their G2 gauge. It was $220 on eBay from an authorised dealer, easy to install (it comes with a SS bung and plug), and works great!
Old 09-03-2008, 04:40 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Sniper is good software, but not if you have no basic principles of engine operation...The average joe shouldnt be buying Sniper software and just clicking away...

You can use your SCT chip, just get it custom tuned. Thats the best route..Mail order tunes are mediocre at best. Find a local SCT/Mustang tuner, and have em go at it.. A mail order flash tuner will probably give you the same results without a custom tune
Old 09-03-2008, 04:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Sniper is good software, but not if you have no basic principles of engine operation...The average joe shouldnt be buying Sniper software and just clicking away...
I agree, however only if the "average Joe" (or "Josephine") in question is too stupid or too lazy, unfortunately both increasingly predominate traits, to learn those principles and then learn how to apply the Sniper tools to tuning their car.

The Special Forces package can produce very good tunes, custom built using the information you input and selections you make, that in most instances require little to no further tweaking to be as good as or better than most mail-order tunes (in truth they tend to be a tiny bit rich, with better but not bold timing).

Once "Joe" gets his knowledge base up to speed (no pun intended), and gets a WB O2 sensor, he can further tweak things without running to the "tuner"...
Old 09-03-2008, 05:35 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by cliffyk

Once "Joe" gets his knowledge base up to speed (no pun intended), and gets a WB O2 sensor, he can further tweak things without running to the "tuner"...

In most cases you are correct... But lets look "inside" the box here... This guy already spent the $$ on a chip, and around my way to get a custom tune is only about 150$ if you already have the tuner. And now he has the BEST tune he could get without havin to learn all the basics, search the internet for hours, and whatnot. The Sniper program is like 400$... 150....400..... I know what I like better.. just my .02
Old 09-03-2008, 06:40 PM
SVTfan4life

just go with the SCT Xcalibrator... easy to use. And a TON of shops use this software to tune cars if ever you needed to go in, get it dyno'ed, and tuned... ive got one, changed some parameters, put a custom 93 octane tune on it at my local shop, and it works freakin great to me!
Old 09-03-2008, 06:58 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I just ordered the sniper SF and I can't wait for it to come. While I cannot speak for other tuners, I heard that Sniper offers best customer support and I can back that up. I am able to call for support at any time and the people on snipertuningforums.com's are very helpful. They can also send you free custom tunes.

It also comes with 2 "bullets" which allow you to tune up to any 2 cars at a single time. You can also reuse the bullets. Additional bullets can also be bought.

Quick Reply: Which tuner to buy???