4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Coolant leakage

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:46 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

If it's coming out the back of the valley check the freezeplugs near the back of the head. It's going to be a pain in the *** to see but they will leak out REALLY fast if they are not perfectly seated.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:12 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 35thAnni99GT
If it's coming out the back of the valley check the freezeplugs near the back of the head. It's going to be a pain in the *** to see but they will leak out REALLY fast if they are not perfectly seated.
+1 and lol for a 8th time @ ur avatar 35th
Old 09-08-2008, 09:33 PM
n0th1n2kn0vv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 35thAnni99GT
Both heads or just one?

I cleaned everything really good. I put the intake back on today and started the car. At first, no leaks... But after a minute or so, it started dripping out the same spot. When the engine got hot (fans arent working and radiator hose is cold), it stopped dripping. The top of the engine block has some coolant in it again. Not coming from the water pump hose.

Retorqued the intake bolts and started it up again. No leaks but I think it is because the coolant is low again.

BTW check engine, battery, low oil, and fan/rad were previously on and now they are all off.

I'm really confused. Ill check the freeze plugs tomorrow.

Anybody else have ideas to try?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:23 PM
n0th1n2kn0vv
1st Gear Member

I checked the freeze plugs in the back of the heads and none of them are leaking. Where does the vapor ABG hose go to? I have a hose coming from my fender with a wire harness on it and I cant seem to find out where it goes. That may be why it is idling so rough.

I'm going to make sure that there is no water in the oil or anything. I need to find out where that vapor hose needs to attach to.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:15 PM
TX97GT
2nd Gear Member

Is the intake manifold from a PI car? If so, some high temp. sealer is required to "extend" the corner of the water jackets on the front passenger side and the rear driver side. It'll leak every time without this. Usually from the rear driver side. Mine did this and it was leaking on the inner side of the intake runners (on the valley side) so I couldn't see it. I could hear it, but it took forever to find out where it was coming from. But it leaked pretty rapidly.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:28 PM
n0th1n2kn0vv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TX97GT
Is the intake manifold from a PI car? If so, some high temp. sealer is required to "extend" the corner of the water jackets on the front passenger side and the rear driver side. It'll leak every time without this. Usually from the rear driver side. Mine did this and it was leaking on the inner side of the intake runners (on the valley side) so I couldn't see it. I could hear it, but it took forever to find out where it was coming from. But it leaked pretty rapidly.
I understand what your saying. The guy that I bought the car from gave me the PI intake and the stock intake (he was doing the PI swap but sold the heads). I think the intake gaskets are for the PI intake (It had tabs that I had to remove in order to fit). It seemed like the drivers side rear jacket was leaking and possibly the passengers side front jacket.

Does anybody else think I need high temp sealer for it? This makes sense because he explained exactly what I was thinking. Did anyone else do this for PI gaskets?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 PM
n0th1n2kn0vv
1st Gear Member

Ok, I took some pictures with the intake off. I'm not sure if these are the PI gaskets or the stock ones.

^I think thats the bellhousing where its leaking from.

You may not be able to see, but the water pump hose is not leaking. All the brown stuff in the jackets is corrosion from sitting for 4 years. Freeze plugs are fine.

Last edited by n0th1n2kn0vv; 09-10-2008 at 07:48 PM. Reason: more pics
Old 09-11-2008, 07:55 AM
n0th1n2kn0vv
1st Gear Member

I matched the intake gaskets up with the PI intake manifold and it matches perfectly. But the stock intake does not cover the whole gasket so I'm ordering new intake gaskets today.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:03 AM
TX97GT
2nd Gear Member

Yea I had to shave off the positioning tabs as well for my swap. I would guess that if you have a PI intake on some non-PI heads. In this case you will need to apply some RTV sealant just to the corner of the water jackets. Make sure it is not applied all the way around, because it will leak like this also. I was told that you are just supposed to "extend" the gasket in this specific corner only. I tried to illustrate (in yellow) about how long the bead should be. You might make it slightly thicker though. Hope the pic works.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant leakage-bigger-pic.jpg  

Last edited by TX97GT; 09-11-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:06 AM
TX97GT
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, I'm terrible with computers. The pic was a lot bigger when I attached it...

Quick Reply: Coolant leakage