4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

installing long tubes?

Old 09-08-2008, 05:01 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

get a ratchet wrench to help with those 1/8 turns only
Old 09-08-2008, 08:05 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

+1 yep thats what i had
Old 09-08-2008, 08:55 PM
redstang97

Talking

Dropping the k isnt hard at all. Disconnect neg, jack the car up, take front wheels off, support a arm at bottom, take caliper off and tie it up, take the two bolts out off the shock attached to the spindle, then release pressure off a arm and leave the coil spring in. Do this on both sides then unbolt mounts at the bottom, disconnect steering shaft at bottom, support motor at front and support the k with two jacks. Undo the 4 bolts on each side that hold k member then drop it down as far as you need to.
I dont take it all the way out I just drop it down a bit and leave everything on and connected. After this you have a strait shot to everything so you can do the job right. It wont take as long to do it this way and even if it does take a little longer ill know that I wont have to fix a header leak down the road cuz I cut corners. Ill still stick to my story and say theres no way to do it with the k still in place,there is simply NO room at all.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:10 PM
ezking
1st Gear Member

I did it on my 97 gt without dropping the K member, just jacked the motor as high as possible.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:56 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

not trying to start a tread war, but you cant say their is not way to do it w/o removing the k member if so many people have done it with out dropping it.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:08 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Yea really ^. I have no leaks whatsoever i reached every bolt. I cant see how your saying theres no way cause i just did them and i didnt drop it? There is room its tight but its enough. And as long as nothing leaks and theres no problems i would call that getting it done right. I didnt cut corners? If anything you cut corners and took the easy way out but dropping the k member cause its not necessary. I find it funny that your gonna be that stubborn to say there is absolutly no room at all and that its not possible to do it with it in hahaha.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:37 PM
briansbodyshop
1st Gear Member

Im doing this install either this weekend or next, Depending on if my headers get here by friday..I have a lift and an engine bar with a comealong attached to easily jack up the engine,and a screw jack for the bottom of the engine if neccesary. Im gonna do it without dropping the K member and I will take and post pics.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:44 PM
briansbodyshop
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
Yea really ^. I have no leaks whatsoever i reached every bolt. I cant see how your saying theres no way cause i just did them and i didnt drop it? There is room its tight but its enough. And as long as nothing leaks and theres no problems i would call that getting it done right. I didnt cut corners? If anything you cut corners and took the easy way out but dropping the k member cause its not necessary. I find it funny that your gonna be that stubborn to say there is absolutly no room at all and that its not possible to do it with it in hahaha.
For some people,I find that you can write a book about how to do something,and they'll still say it cant be done....
I find it interesting that alot of people on here just agree with whoever,or they dont have the mechanical ability to figure out the easiest and best way. When I do this,im gonna time it and take pics, but they will still say it cant be done......
Old 09-09-2008, 11:48 PM
boostanggt
1st Gear Member

IMO it's a matter of how much you're rushing the project. If you're in no rush and want to make sure you're job is %100 without leaks, dropping the k member is the best bet. The quickest route is obviously just to jack the motor up.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:33 AM
redstang97

Hey i'm just trying to put my two cents in and maybe help someone out. If one person thinks they can do it by lifting the motor then thats cool, I just choose this route because I did'nt have the mad assortment of tools that it takes to hit some of those impossible angles. I say if its in the way take it off. Im not the only person thats done it this way and I wont be the last.
I just know taking out those old seized 5mm studs and replacing with new, fighting the dipstick in and out (if your headers have a solid flange), and then seating the new headers over the stud was a pain with the k out. Trying to do all that without dropping the k down so you have room to work is way more of a headache IMO. To each his own, thats why people research these things to form a plan of action that best suits there agenda.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: installing long tubes?