4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Screeching, scraping and whirring sounds

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Screeching, scraping and whirring sounds

Okay, so it seems like whenever I go on long trips.. my car runs like crap, and all the problems appear.

Last night I went about 50 miles (hour drive) and all seemed fine on the highway and stuff but.. I think I'm having transmission issues. After we all got out of the club to go back to the dorm, I drove my car up a parking garage (the swing around on each floor, turning the wheel LEFT, and SCREECH SCREECH SCREECH SCREECH every time we went around the turn. Everyone was like "Is that your brakes? I was like idk (I think it's power steering pump leak?).. but then when I was leaving to go drive back home, I went DOWN the parking garage and cranked the wheel RIGHT each time, and.... no scraping. I know that you can hear EVERY noise your car makes in a parking garage but come on..

The other thing though that concerns me most was that as I drive home, 1st 2nd and third gear were making a crunchy grinding whirring like noise as I increased speed. (shifted at like 2400RPM each time too.) This noise doesn't usually happen this seriousely. Also, I put the car into 4th out of 5th at one point because I was slowing down and I felt on the shifter **** like something was knocking or like ticking.. I felt it through the shifter though, didn't hear any actual noise.

Can someone please tell me what this issue could possibly be? There Transmission has like 25,000 beat miles on it and 25,000 regular miles on it (good estimate), and I am the first (as far as I know) to baby it all the time, I never power shift. The tranny fluid has never been changed at all, and it needs a new clutch cable.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Holy crap it's gonna blow up nuclear. Japan once hear a screech screech.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Sooo... Nobody has an intelligent answer?
Old 09-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Look deep inside Grass Hopper. What do you think it is?
Old 09-12-2008, 05:38 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Holy crap it's gonna blow up nuclear. Japan once hear a screech screech.

GODZILLA!!!!!!

LOL

O/P what year is your car?
Old 09-12-2008, 05:44 PM
max427
2nd Gear Member

theres a few things that could be wrong and they dont seem, imo related.
if the noise was in more than one gear and changed with speed then its almost def. internal to the trans and u probably need a rebuild, outside of that pilot or throw-out bearings make crunchy noises but throw out would be in between gears. the screeching- sure it wasnt ur tires? if u had a lsd rear and ur taking sharp turns tires are gonna make noise.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by defconfire
GODZILLA!!!!!!

LOL

O/P what year is your car?
It's a 2000
Old 09-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by max427
theres a few things that could be wrong and they dont seem, imo related.
if the noise was in more than one gear and changed with speed then its almost def. internal to the trans and u probably need a rebuild, outside of that pilot or throw-out bearings make crunchy noises but throw out would be in between gears. the screeching- sure it wasnt ur tires? if u had a lsd rear and ur taking sharp turns tires are gonna make noise.
The noise didn't change with speed. It was just like a scratching scraping sound that was constant 1-3 gears. I think heat has a lot to do with it, because I had been running the car all day to and from the University. How much is a new transmission, and how much is a comparable T-45 Rebuild?
Old 09-12-2008, 07:06 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Is is present at all Rpms?

The T-45 is not the best transmission so its easy to point fingers at it.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Yup, all the way up to 2500 where I shift.. I should take the RPMs higher and see what happens but yeah.. very loud grinding lately.. never used to be this loud. What do you think about the screeching when I crank the wheel left?

Quick Reply: Screeching, scraping and whirring sounds