4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Drive-Train Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:36 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Default Drive-Train Shudder

I Have been getting some drive-train shudder between 1400-1600rpm usually in my lower gears 2nd and 3rd. (almost like a bad resonance) along with the normal Clunk in 5th gear.

I really noticed this after reading some of the threads about the 5th gear clunking.

I was thinking about getting an aftermarket Aluminum Driveshaft. I've heard it helps because the U-joints are more precise and the drivetrain has less rotating mass to bounce around.

Can anyone offer some insight on this topic.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:24 PM
adahy22
1st Gear Member

yes , it s weird to it does it to me like almost a whistling noise in low rpm but do not affect power or the way it shifts it s just there
Old 09-14-2008, 01:28 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Mine isn't a noise it is a jerking or surging sensation. It's almost like when some one who is learning how to drives stick and they make they car buck by not giving it enough gas or doing a poor job of feathering the clutch.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:32 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Do you have the MAF screen installed?

Without it the small portion of the airflow sampled by the sensor can be a less than fully representative measure of the real airflow due to turbulence in the air stream. This can cause the engine to surge at lower throttle positions.

Another issue is that larger throttle bodies require less angular movement of the valve to more greatly increase airflow, so a small throttle openings any even sleight change in throttle position can set off a cycle of surging.

At light loads and lower rpms this is noticeable with my 70 mm TB, a friend has a Accufab 75 mm TB and plenum, I find it much more prominent with that combination.

The simple solution is to downshift, I often fund myself in a lower gear than would seem natural due to this.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:36 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

I actually though about that too. And that seems more likely in retrospect.

I checked it recently and somewhere along the line I forgot to put it back in. I have no idea where it is now.

I considered making a replacement out of steel window screen.

Last edited by defconfire; 09-14-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:06 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Get in touch with this fellow, BlueOvalChips (no relation to Blue Oval the eBay vendor). He is a former Ford SVT member and can probably get you an OEM screen for a reasonable price.

I would not use window screen, as it will likely not be heat treated wire and may come apart which would be bad (think numerous pieces of steel wire being sucked into you engine).
Old 09-14-2008, 03:08 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Thats the main reason I hadn't done it yet. I was paranoid that it would break up at some point and I would have a couple of grams of metal in my engine.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:15 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Check out BlueOvalChips, he does a lot of intake upgrades--in fact, the OEM Mustang CAI is a popular upgrade for the Crown Vics....
Old 09-14-2008, 03:16 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Thanks, I'll look into that.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:10 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Again, what would this forum be with Cliffy K? The guy should get an award for always being,"that guy" with the suggestions/answers. What a hero....

Quick Reply: Drive-Train Shudder