4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bilstien Shocks and Strut Install Help Emergency!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:30 AM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Default Bilstien Shocks and Strut Install Help Emergency!!!

Hey guys, just got my Bilstien Shocks and Struts for my 01 GT and am installing them tommrrow and wanted to know if there is any help or information since it seems very scarce here on the internet! And I cannot find any help on how to install them any help is greatly apperciated!!! Oh and one more thing my car has the wheel locks on them and when i rotated my tires last i was tighting to much and the key snapped! Dident think that was possible but anyway everyone is telling me it would be 2 weeks before i can get one and that a normal mechanic could not take them off! Is there any truth to that or any secrets to get it off?
Old 09-16-2008, 12:38 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea beat a socket onto them and try to gun them off, plan on throwing out that socket when ur done with it, itll be ****ed. or an air hammer works some times.

as for the shock/strut install, its cake,

rear
lift car,support the rear w. jackstands or what not. unbolt from bottom, go in trunk, take out side carpeting, and unbolt from top. bolt the new ones in

front

car on jack stands, put the jack under the a arm, and lift untill you see the a arm go up a little, now the weight is off of the strut. unbolt from up top, unbolt both bolts from the bottom, pull it out, and put the new one in... its really simple.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:19 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

Never done the struts, but rear shocks are a breeze. No need to remove the wheels when doing the rear. Only minor issue I had was with the car on jackstands there was too much space between the frame and body so the top of the shock wouldn't make it up through the trunk area..just had to be sure and guide it in while I lowered the car slowly...no big deal.