4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2002 GT oil level

Old 09-20-2008, 05:05 PM
khoysagk

Default 2002 GT oil level

ok, so I bought a 2002 GT and just did my first oil change. I noticed the dipstick is really twisted but my dealership said this was normal because it had to make a lot of turns going down into the engine.
According to my owner's manual it takes 6 quarts of oil for an oil change including filter. Well, I poured in 6 quarts but my oil level is only half way between MIN and MAX on the dipstick. Now I was wondering if I have a wrong dipstick in my car or it got twisted too much (which would shorten it). I measured the dipstick and it is 25 and 3/4 inches long (the metal part only). Can anybody tell me if this is correct? If so, why isn't my oil level at MAX? I didn't just want to put more oil in cause I don't want to overfill either.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:43 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It's fine, 6 qts is what it takes and 1/2 way between MIN and MAX = NORMAL...

Ford is attempting to fox a problem that has existed for years, and that is an almost paranoia over engine oil levels. Filling it with the proper measured amount is more important than filling it to some precise mark on a dipstick.

There are too many factors that affect the dipstick reading (level ground, oil temperature, how long has the engine been stopped, etc.) and it creates service calls when people think it should be at some precise level. Fact is anywhere from 5.5 qts to 6.5 qts is OK.

So they are working on getting changed over to dipsticks that no longer say "Full/Add", "Min/Max" or anything--there's a TSB explaining this...
Old 09-20-2008, 07:32 PM
khoysagk

I just have never seen a dipstick before that was twisted like this one. And on all my other vehicles when you fill them to manufacturer's specs the oil level is usually at MAX. I do know that whatever is within the crosshatch area is normally fine. I was just a little concerned because things are different and wanted to make sure that I'm neither putting in too little or too much. thanks for the reply!!
Old 09-20-2008, 07:40 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Glad to help...
Old 09-20-2008, 08:24 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

I run 7 qts after reading this quote from a former Ford employee.......

"When at Ford, we ran with clear pans, windowed front covers and cam covers. The oil under high rpms gets slowed in the heads, the front cover and the front of the oil pan.
As the chain drives the cam system, the oil is trying to get down thru the cover area. Also the area around the front of the pan shares space with the oil pump and pickup tube. Oil is tryig to get back to the pan and everything is in the way.

The drain back holes are the same between 2v, 3v and 4v.

Ford conducts a WOT test for 100's of hours.

On the street you don't see consistent 6,500+ runs. On the track, I suggest you add 1 qt. Adding 1 qt does not over fill the pan to the point that the crank or rods run thru it. When at idle, you're 2 qts low anyways."
Old 09-20-2008, 08:30 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Huummmm.... That may be something to consider when I'm on a road course.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

I have a 2000 GT, and I run 5 qts. I have the Windsor block though.. those Romeo's take 6 Quarts, correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:33 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
I have a 2000 GT, and I run 5 qts. I have the Windsor block though.. those Romeo's take 6 Quarts, correct me if i'm wrong.
Windsor. Romeo, GT or Cobra, all share the same oil pan and capacity.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:35 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by JayC
Windsor. Romeo, GT or Cobra, all share the same oil pan and capacity.
They may indeed share the same pan, I've never had them side-by-side, however Ford changed the recommended oil level starting with the 2002 models.

From the 2001 owner's manual:

From the 2002 manual:

This could perhaps be related to the issues mentioned in the quote attributed to a Ford employee in an earlier posting?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:50 AM
myslow2002gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
This could perhaps be related to the issues mentioned in the quote attributed to a Ford employee in an earlier posting?
It is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 GT oil level