4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Flowmaster Rattle!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 10:22 PM
jcdavis
1st Gear Member

Default Flowmaster Rattle!

I have Flowmasters with an X pipe and I noticed a rattle the other day. The rattle seems like a metal on metal rattling. I got under the car while it was running and I think I have pin-pointed where the rattle is coming from. It seems to be coming from the pipe after the actual muffler (about 2ft from the exhaust tip). There are no joints, nuts, bolts, seams, no nothing there. I unhooked the tip of the pipe so I could shake it and listen for the rattle. When I shook it, nothing rattled inside the pipe. I notice the rattle mostly around 1200 to 2000 RPM. Can anyone help or has anyone else had this same problem?
Old 05-19-2005, 10:36 PM
2000STANGGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Flowmaster Rattle!

I have heard the x pipe makes a rattle with flows like tin cans. I have flows and going with a H pipe.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:44 PM
neogenic83
3rd Gear Member

could the section of pipe that goes over the axle be slightly touching the body. it can make a slight rattle noise
Old 05-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: neogenic83

could the section of pipe that goes over the axle be slightly touching the body. it can make a slight rattle noise
He said it, when I first put mine on, thought it was lined up just right, but at certain times, it would rattle. It was the pipe hitting the frame (where it went over the axel). Just tapping it but it souded like something was loose until I got back there and shook on it. If that's your problem, it's an easy fix, loosen your clamps and make the proper adjustments. Otherwise I bet big big cash its your crapmasters....
Old 05-19-2005, 10:56 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Could be a bad cat too, but those usually sound like they're in the reaar of the engine compartment.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:41 AM
hubada26
1st Gear Member

i am having my flows replaced 8 years its about time. in my drivers side muffler im thinking one of the baffles came rusted and loose now it buzzes at certain rpms, now its getting bad it will do it all through the rpm range. i also have a catted slp x-pipe and that didnt cause a rattle when i first put it on, so i dont know about that x-pipe flow rattle thing. i got magna flows to replace them only because it was stainless steel and didnt have internal baffles, straight though design.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:11 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

02 GT here with Mac H-pipe. My Flows aren't shaking and hitting anything, stupid baffles just can't handle such a short exhaust system with no cats.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:33 AM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

why are people raggin on the flows? Personall, i think they have the best sound out there. But that's just my opinion i guess lol
Old 05-20-2005, 04:15 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Obselite

why are people raggin on the flows? Personall, i think they have the best sound out there. But that's just my opinion i guess lol
I dunno, this is the only website that I have found that bad mouths Flows to this extent. Everyone else loves them. I think its because they are so popular. Usually mainstream items are slowly considered "uncool" or "crappy" until they arent popular anymore. Once they lose that mainstreamness they are considered cool again, become popular again and the cycle continues. Youve all heard proof of what I say, "Everyone has Flowmasters". Thats implying that if everyone didnt have them, then that person would like them. Also some people simply dont like them. Different people are going to have different tastes. I have Flows because they sound mean as f-k. I have absolutly no rattles at all, never even had that problem with my old 1996 GT with the X-pipe.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:53 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94Cbra

ORIGINAL: Obselite

I dunno, this is the only website that I have found that bad mouths Flows to this extent. Everyone else loves them. I think its because they are so popular. Usually mainstream items are slowly considered "uncool" or "crappy" until they arent popular anymore. Once they lose that mainstreamness they are considered cool again, become popular again and the cycle continues. Youve all heard proof of what I say, "Everyone has Flowmasters". Thats implying that if everyone didnt have them, then that person would like them. Also some people simply dont like them. Different people are going to have different tastes. I have Flows because they sound mean as f-k. I have absolutly no rattles at all, never even had that problem with my old 1996 GT with the X-pipe.
Alot of it has to do with drone. I had my LTs and o/r X with welded in flows, and MAN did it drone. Would give ya a headache.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Rattle!