4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Looking at headers and exhaust Too many damn choices

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Flying Low

Default Looking at headers and exhaust Too many damn choices

I have been shopping for LT headers and exhaust. I don't care as much for the sound as for raw performance. I have seen the JBA, Bassani, Mac, Borla and Ford Racing.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Looking at headers and exhaust Too many damn choices

As far as long tube headers,Hooker and Kooks(I think?) are the only ones that will allow you to replace your clutch or do any tranny work without removing the headers.Believe me when I say installing headers is among the biggest pains in the azz there is.So you don't want to have to do it over and over every time you need to change the clutch.Some long tubes have clearance problems with auto trannys also.Bassani mid length headers are no better as far as installation go.The K member must be dropped just as with long tubes but they don't need to be removed to work on the tranny.I can't imagine shorty's being any easier to install than long tubes but most will bolt up to the stock exhaust.Long tubes will give the biggest power increase with mid length second and shorty's third.Installation of headers will generally cost about $500-$700 depending on the shop and their experience.Most will not do the install at any price.I tried to install Bassani mid-length headers and failed miserably.No shop in town would touch the job untill I called the Ford dealer.They took me in the next morning and had the job done that afternoon.It took three techs around six hours to finish.Cost,$620.Sound,Priceless.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:56 AM
hubada26
1st Gear Member

yeah putting headers on is as most will say a pain. one thing i can say is buy an slp xpipe. not only are they high quality and a true x pipe but they are modular and can accept long tubes and cats, or no cats or short tubes with or with out cats as well. i went with jba shorties and i can tell you that i love them ill plan on getting long tubes later when im out of the parents house. (they dont like the noise) headers i couldnt comment on long tubes but shorties, jba and bbk has the best they are the only two shorties on the market that make power. the bbk werent out when i went shopping. but thats just what i have to say.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:29 AM
Blue70
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hubada26
I went with jba shorties and i can tell you that i love them ill plan on getting long tubes later when im out of the parents house. (they dont like the noise) headers i couldnt comment on long tubes but shorties, jba and bbk has the best they are the only two shorties on the market that make power. the bbk werent out when i went shopping. but thats just what i have to say.
Please read this thread......
Shortie Headers