MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Underdrive Pulleys (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/48615-underdrive-pulleys.html)

stanglover03 05-20-2005 02:18 PM

Underdrive Pulleys

I have been told by a reputable mechanic that by changing the diameter of the crank pulley (which most aftermarket pulley kits do) you would be breaking the key way to the crank shaft over time and therefore be ultimately damaging the engine and voiding my warranty. Can someone please tell me if this is correct and if it is wise to change my pulleys. I have an 03 GT. Thank you for your input.

Chris

nanaki 05-20-2005 02:26 PM

RE: Underdrive Pulleys

putting the pullies on period will void the warranty if your dealership sees them. i know people that have been running U/Ds for years with no problems. my former teacher still has his on and he put them on not long after he got the car. he bought his 99GT brand new. he's only had tranny trouble. ;)

badtzmaru 05-20-2005 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: nanaki

putting the pullies on period will void the warranty if your dealership sees them. i know people that have been running U/Ds for years with no problems. my former teacher still has his on and he put them on not long after he got the car. he bought his 99GT brand new. he's only had tranny trouble. ;)

I have to aggree with nanaki on this one. I had my U/P for over a year and had not any problems.

Monch 05-20-2005 02:52 PM

are you guys positive about that? i have pulleys on and need warranty work, i guess i should take them off just to be safe. crap.

josh_0351 05-20-2005 05:32 PM

Pulleys will not hurt you vehicle FYI....

The02GT 05-20-2005 08:26 PM

yea dude it only makes your acc. run slower therfore giving you more power, I don't scc how it would hurt the crank unless the pullies are WAY out of balance, then mabye...

99STEEDAGT 05-22-2005 01:04 PM

has anyone ever had problems with the idler pully after changing to UDP's? I'm on my third one in two months and i can't figure it out.

Dan04COBRA 05-22-2005 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: The02GT

yea dude it only makes your acc. run slower therfore giving you more power, I don't scc how it would hurt the crank unless the pullies are WAY out of balance, then mabye...
Slows your water pump*

josh_0351 05-22-2005 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: 99STEEDAGT

has anyone ever had problems with the idler pully after changing to UDP's? I'm on my third one in two months and i can't figure it out.
That's weird. I have not heard of anyone directly attributing UDP's with abnormal mechanical problems. How many miles do you have on your car?

99STEEDAGT 05-22-2005 11:55 PM

yeah it really sucks.. i only have 34,000 on my 99 GT. The day i had the pullies installed there was this really nasty squeak. I thought the belt was streched or something. I bought a new belt from Ford and the same thing happened. I switched to a smaller belt. ( On my third) switched the idler pully ( also my third) and i even got a new belt tensoner. Starting to wonder if i should just put my stock pullies back on.