4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How much boost...and still 93 octane?

Old 10-01-2008, 09:44 PM
1stgear
2nd Gear Member

The Block is completely forged, the heads are ported at my speedshop near buffalo,NY, and the Cams are Compcams custom grind for the KB blower. The 2v heads were fitted with oversize valves, and all strong components (springs, seals, retainers, etc), as for the flow numbers, I'm not sure, but it is for max flow, not intermediate. Same with the cams, I don't know the numbers, but the cams are meant for KB supercharger (high lift, short duration)
Old 10-01-2008, 10:10 PM
NoRdO
2nd Gear Member

What kind of rods? Forged I-Beam or Forged H-Beam? Crank? I could see forged H beam making 900 rwhp safely and I could see forged or billet I beam rods making 1000+++ HP. You need to be more specific on your engine spes. Is it sleeved? Darton sleeves? Give us some engine specs. The specs you are giving us are very general.

Last edited by NoRdO; 10-01-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoRdO
What kind or rods? Forged I-Beam or Forged H-Beam? Crank? I could see forged H beam making 900 rwhp safely and I could see forged or billet I beam rods making 1000+++ HP. You need to be more specific on your engine spes. Is it sleeved? Darton sleeves? Give us some engine specs. The specs you are giving us are very general.
its a boss block so no sleeves
Old 10-01-2008, 10:30 PM
1stgear
2nd Gear Member

what do sleeved cylinder blocks have anything to do with a car making power with 93 octane...that's like asking if power windows increase horsepower or something??? In order for a car to run on 93 without the use of a higher octane fuel would be to lower the air intake temp and retard timing so there is no detonation..now compression has a lot to do with it.....not the strength of the motor.....i have a strong motor...I know it can take a beating! things like snow performance methanol injection, as well as nitrous, can help lower the air charge temp, and a switch chip that that will allow me to run on 2 different tunes (street/strip). But can 18-20psi.....on my setup.......with the right tune, and air cooling, be achieved on 93, or is that type of cylinder pressure too much!!! thank you
Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1stgear
what do sleeved cylinder blocks have anything to do with a car making power with 93 octane...that's like asking if power windows increase horsepower or something??? In order for a car to run on 93 without the use of a higher octane fuel would be to lower the air intake temp and retard timing so there is no detonation..now compression has a lot to do with it.....not the strength of the motor.....i have a strong motor...I know it can take a beating! things like snow performance methanol injection, as well as nitrous, can help lower the air charge temp, and a switch chip that that will allow me to run on 2 different tunes (street/strip). But can 18-20psi.....on my setup.......with the right tune, and air cooling, be achieved on 93, or is that type of cylinder pressure too much!!! thank you
Unless your compression is through the roof 18psi will be fine even with out the meth injection.

Also asking if its sleeved and whether its dry or wet is relevant. At 18-20psi the wet sleeved big bore will make more power than a dry sleeved or boss block.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:29 AM
mustangman281
Banned

Being able to run more boost not only depends on air charge temp but the efficiency of your cooling system, oiling system and fuel system alll play a very big part.

If your not running a bigger aluminum radiator and a more efficient water pump then forget about running more boost on 93. If the coolant cant pull the heat away faste enough chamber temps will increase.

If your running a returnless system still then forget about high boost on 93. The fuel will be near boiling point in the fuel rails and increase the chamber temps. You have to run a return style system and I suggest some kind of fuel cooler depending on what pump you use.

If your oil runs too hot the internals will not cool as quickly and chamber temps will increase, if the oil runs too cool your lubrication sill suffer. Its a tricky situation to get correct.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:06 PM
1stgear
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
Being able to run more boost not only depends on air charge temp but the efficiency of your cooling system, oiling system and fuel system alll play a very big part.

If your not running a bigger aluminum radiator and a more efficient water pump then forget about running more boost on 93. If the coolant cant pull the heat away faste enough chamber temps will increase.

If your running a returnless system still then forget about high boost on 93. The fuel will be near boiling point in the fuel rails and increase the chamber temps. You have to run a return style system and I suggest some kind of fuel cooler depending on what pump you use.

If your oil runs too hot the internals will not cool as quickly and chamber temps will increase, if the oil runs too cool your lubrication sill suffer. Its a tricky situation to get correct.
thank you someone that is at least understanding what i'm looking for......as for water pump i am running a meziere elec water pump...and the cooling issue is being worked on between my speed shop and myself...I haven't decided what to get yet, but it is in the works. The oil pump is a billet high-flow pump design with a canton 7qt pan, so I'm sure it can handle the oiling/cooling of the internals. But you recommend a return style fuel system rather than returnless, and a fuel cooler?