4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Fuel filler neck leaking like crazy on an '01 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Azure
2nd Gear Member

Default Fuel filler neck leaking like crazy on an '01 GT

The title says it all. A few weeks ago I noticed some fluid dripping from under my car when I filled up. It was gas, dripping all over the exhaust. Since I noticed it I've tried patching the neck to no avail - the leak has only gotten worse and I can only put 1-2gal in it at a time without putting a dangerous amount of gas on the ground.

I took it to the dealer today and they wanted FOUR HUNDRED for a new filler neck assembly. I am a poor college student and I can't swing it right now. So, has anyone had a similar problem?

I have tried patching the neck with epoxy putty from Sears but the leak seems to be at the very top of the neck, inside the rubber boot that connects the neck to the filler cap. There is a loose edge of the boot that lets excess gas drip down. I don't want to seal the boot closed for fear of it just filling up and forming a pocket of gas. Right now my mission is to get inside the boot, find the leak, and patch it with the aforementioned putty.

Can anyone offer any advice? Should I cut open the boot to get to the inside of the filler assembly, or is there another way I can do it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Azure
The title says it all. A few weeks ago I noticed some fluid dripping from under my car when I filled up. It was gas, dripping all over the exhaust. Since I noticed it I've tried patching the neck to no avail - the leak has only gotten worse and I can only put 1-2gal in it at a time without putting a dangerous amount of gas on the ground.

I took it to the dealer today and they wanted FOUR HUNDRED for a new filler neck assembly. I am a poor college student and I can't swing it right now. So, has anyone had a similar problem?

I have tried patching the neck with epoxy putty from Sears but the leak seems to be at the very top of the neck, inside the rubber boot that connects the neck to the filler cap. There is a loose edge of the boot that lets excess gas drip down. I don't want to seal the boot closed for fear of it just filling up and forming a pocket of gas. Right now my mission is to get inside the boot, find the leak, and patch it with the aforementioned putty.

Can anyone offer any advice? Should I cut open the boot to get to the inside of the filler assembly, or is there another way I can do it?

Thanks in advance.
I know I'm not helping the question, but I have a similar problem that has been ongoing for a year now. When I go to the gas station, I can only fill up at full speed for about 5 seconds before the pump clicks off, and it's NOT full. The filler neck is bent.

Also, when It clicks off, gas pouts EVERYWHERE underneath the bumper of my car. I believe your best bet is to have to fork over the 400 bucks to get it fixed. Ford actually quoted me at 345.00
Old 10-01-2008, 06:25 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

I had the same problem on my `00GT. Filled it up at the gas station, & it leaked like a sieve. The problem is that there is a rubber grommet that connects the filler tube with the tank. Over time this grommet gets hard & brittle & lets gas leak out from between the filler tube & the tank. You can get the grommet from the dealer & its not expensive, BUT, you have to drop the tank to install it. I would use up most of the gas in the tank, & then drop it. I think if you look up from underneath, you can see the grommet. Good luck.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:14 PM
6sphere
1st Gear Member

In the manual it says not to over fill the tank too much, cause the pressure could damage the seal or whatever and cause a leak. My buddies old 00 GT had this problem, but it wasnt that bad.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:18 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

the grommet is about 20 dollars from ford and it took me about 1 hour to fix
Old 10-01-2008, 09:20 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

+1....$17 grommit at a ford dealership and a quick drop of the tank.... just drop it with a floorjack and install the grommit
Old 10-01-2008, 09:27 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

also check the filler neck at the bottom. where the bend is. It has a plastic cover on it. Remove that cover. I had alot of mustangs come into work that leaked gas becuase with that cover on it traps water and will rust out the filler tube. just another thing to check.