4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HIDs not working...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:57 AM
quitbichyn
2nd Gear Member

Default HIDs not working...HELP!!

i bought the single beam 4300K HID conversion kit from stangmods.com, and i was very impressed up until this point. im not sure whats wrong.. i followed the directions EXACTLY and i tried hooking up each bulb with each ballast (thinking that one of the ballast and/or bulbs might be bad) and i got nothing.. the turn signal bulb worked but the headlight wouldnt come on..i put my old bulb (not HID) back in and it came right on. i connected everything right.. I DID NOT TOUCH THE BULB WITH MY BARE HANDS or even touch the bulb with anything PERIOD. so im kinda lost here. anybody who has done this conversion before.. did you run into the same problem im having? i do have a set of aftermarket smoked headlights.. and they have been sealed properly. it was a breeze getting the ballasts mounted but i got a lil frustrated when the lights wouldnt come on.. hopefully theres an easy fix for this.. is there a chacne i have bad ballasts or bad bulbs? help!!

thanks in advance
Old 10-02-2008, 09:34 AM
alexr
★★★★★

yes thats a possibility that the ballasts or bulbs are bad. check the grounding first. you should have gotten 2 wires, 1 off of each ballast with an o-ring stakon, which is for grounding the ballasts, to provide a complete path of current flow from + to -. remember, paint is an insulator. it will not allow current to pass through. find a spot on the body where there is a clean spot without paint. i managed to get mine to hit bare metal on the screws just above either headlight on the piece of metal that runs along the front of the car where the hood prop sits.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:12 AM
quitbichyn
2nd Gear Member

the one wire coming off each ballast actually has 2 connectors, 1 male and 1 female (per say).. one is red and one is black.. that matches one of the wires coming from the HID bulb which also has 1 red and black male and female connector. now theres 2 more cables coming from the HID bulb.. one plugs into the ballast (the only place it fits) and the other plugs into where your normal headlight bulb would connect. its hard not to connect them correctly as each piece only fits with one other connector. this was a "plug and play" kit from stangmods btw. i did make sure my brights werent on beacuse i only got the single beam kits and im cool with not having the high beams.