4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

questions on my 4.10s

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:36 AM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

Default questions on my 4.10s

i got them installed in my 99 auto gt and they feel really good. not like omfg but way better. it took me from a 9.5 to a 9.3 first try on street tires but i have a few quesstions regarding them

1. the traction is rele not a problem, im still getting the same 60 fts (2.4-2.5 ahahhaahah) and i have yet to chirp 2nd. i assumed this was liek guaranteed with 4.10s. i feel almost like i dont have the full experience. i was under the impression that i would spin through 2nd. i know traction is good it just makes me think that its not working right or somethin

2. i was watchin footage of my racing from last night and i noticed my 2nd gear friggin shifts at like 5600 rpms when my first is at like 5900-6000. you can even hear it shift way lower. how can this be fixed? i didnt get a tuner it was just a flash but if i get a tuner will i haul more a$$ and b able to have it shift right? i heard gears shouldnt mess with the shifts

please help!! thank you!
Old 10-05-2008, 06:53 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

-Don't worry about the not chirping in second. Like you said traction is good
-Shift your auto manually. Meaning start in 1st and put it in second when you want it to go
Old 10-05-2008, 08:12 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The gears will affect engine load at higher rpms (load will decrease faster as the torque falls off), and that will affect shift points...
Old 10-05-2008, 09:56 AM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
-Don't worry about the not chirping in second. Like you said traction is good
-Shift your auto manually. Meaning start in 1st and put it in second when you want it to go
uhhh.... no....

OP do you have a tuner? you need a new tune with the gears not just correct the speedo, just for that reason
Old 10-05-2008, 12:15 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by steve0914
uhhh.... no....

OP do you have a tuner? you need a new tune with the gears not just correct the speedo, just for that reason

+1

Manual cars can get away with no tune, Autos on the other hand rely on vehicle speed and other related variables to have correct shifts...You throw in a different set of gears and now it doesnt know what to do with itself anymore.

Shifting a stock auto trans is about the worst thing you can do..
Old 10-05-2008, 01:03 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

tuner will make your car really feel new... with an auto, you NEED to do a tune.. a tune should be the very first mod... bump the shift firmness up and tune it for traction control off, it will pull a whole lot harder... it did wonders for my v6 when i had it
Old 10-05-2008, 08:12 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

WTF. why is shifting a auto. the worst thing you can do?
Old 10-06-2008, 12:42 AM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

ok well what should i do first purchase rear rims so i can throw on drag radials or get the tuner cuz i cant afford both right now. the drags should lower my 60 ft hopefully to at least 2.0 from the 2.4's ive been getting!
Old 10-06-2008, 01:29 AM
03FstStngKB
2nd Gear Member

^^^Bramas

Actually it's not the worst thing you can do. The worst thing you can do is get gears for the stang and not get a custom tune. To make a long story short...once you change gears you need to create a custom tune to correct vital information that the computer relies on to accurately control all aspects of the transmission. NOT DOING SO will cause transmission problems to the same degree if not faster than by the same effect that manually shifting all the time causes.

Manually shifting for the most part is not a bad thing...it's how the transmission internally carries out the shifts while you do it manually. I am not going into technical terms here as it would by far surpass the average person who understands this stuff but I can say that it won't kill the transmission right away. I manually shift my transmission all the time but I am not doing it all the time at full throttle either. At full throttle the transmission is seeing it's highest abuse and after a length of time(?)the tranmission will see higher wear on the the clutchs and bands from the manual shifting. I do most of my shifting at part throttle where line pressure is much lower and thus the wear is at its mininum. There is much debate on this subject, while some has been proven, it has not been totally proven that manually shifting is bad? It may cause more wear but just like anything else...you are on borrowed time no matter how the transmission shifts, eventually your transmission in XXXXX amount of miles will need to be rebuilt? How much or how less is the key question? The general consensus is that it is frowned upon to manually shift your transmission. Lots of debate on whether it can be done from a safety stand point(transmission reliability)!

Last edited by 03FstStngKB; 10-06-2008 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:36 AM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

oh crap so what your telling me is taht i did the worst thing i can do for my car???? the person just changed the gear ratio they didnt say anything about needing a tune!!! what are these specific perameters your talking about. can i do this with a handheld myself or should i order a custom online?? please help!

Quick Reply: questions on my 4.10s