4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Quick MAF question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:27 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

When was the last time you did spark plugs? And have you removed any yet and checked them out? Sounds like your car is flooding out.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:14 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackstallion666
When was the last time you did spark plugs? And have you removed any yet and checked them out? Sounds like your car is flooding out.
Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
Thats what i thought, guy at autzone told me it could keep it from starting i was like... uhh

Well its a pretty long story... at first the car had trouble starting unless i feathered the gas, i didn't hear the fuel pump kicking on so i replaced it, problem was solved... for like 3 days... but my car was still bucking when i gave it gas, replaced the plug wires, i checked my plugs they looked in excellent condition, cleaned the MAF screen and sensor with MAF cleaning ****, cleaned the upper sensor in the air filter tubing (CAI tube imo wtf its called stock) i just have a K+N drop in. Before when my fuel pump wouldn't kick on if i feathered the gas it would start up, now nothing i have to popstart it,(when it won't start, sometimes it does about 75% yes 25% no) and i see fumes goimg from the exahust which tells me its getting fuel(cold weather but now warm still problem) but not spark... i got all my electrical tested all came back good, im thinking about just replacing the plugs, if that fails, the MAF sensor, if that fails... well R.I.P old 4.6 im just gonna tear it down... which i didn't wanna do yet because i need to be financially set for this winter, due to tax reasons among other things, i wanted to get it all out of the way before i dumped money into my car then don't have enough to pay the bills. But any help would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking coil packs, im not sure if they were tested as well, anyway to test them without alot of hassle?
you didn't read very well. Anyhoo problem fixed, got home pulled it apart down to the heads lol (they were still on car) which was done pretty quickly, put everything back and she ran beautifully.... still have no idea wth was wrong.... started instantly, ran strong, sounded smooth, just like before, turned it off for a while, started right back up, im assuming its fixed and keeping my fingers crossed, maybe i just had a crossed wire or a slightly unplugged hose or something... idk.. its possible one rattled loose or something? i put back all my tools and realized i forgot to do my tower strut engine brace bar thing... oh well i'll do it tomorrow, late thx for the suggestions.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:16 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

I need to get my eyes checked lol
Old 10-11-2008, 03:18 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

ok UPDATE: problem started again Cleaned the MAF then ran smooth, found a crack in an air intake hose, replaced hose, runs well in low gear, even at high RPM, still bucking in 3rd and up...When slowing down quickly, like off an exit ramp car dies<--- saw a thread about this a while ago can't find it, im thinking either MAF or cracked intake manifold.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:58 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

Intake mani shouldnt have cracked but since its not too tough to take off, I'd do it just to be sure. I still believe the MAF would be messed up, otherwise you might be getting bad fuel pressure. I don't see how it'd be fuel pressure though since it still runs well in high rpms... If you cant find it out I'd takeit to a shop and see what they can do w/ it, other than that if they can't find out easily, it might be expensive to find/repair,.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:08 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

yeah that was the plan take it to a shop before maf, i might just take it off the road, it needs tires, a possible maf, a coolant sensor, i need to swap my midpipes and its got pretty high miles, i think im just gonna take it off the road and rebuild.. still up in the air though
Old 10-12-2008, 01:52 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

mhmm..well I remember I had a similiar problem with my MAF actually. It was in the low end RPMs, maybe a little bit of middle, but my problem was the plug on the MAF was actually off. So I'm thinking yours just really isnt functioning correctly. If I were you, I'd take the plug off and drive the car around, if the problem really didn't change at all (which with a good MAF being unplugged you'd notice a difference), it's definitely the MAF.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:53 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

btw svteeshirt, how many miles are on your engine?
Old 10-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Willy Mo
1st Gear Member

well I am the one who started the tread about my 02 gt dying when slowing down. My problem was My functional shaker hood was creating turbulence through the MAF. There was supposed to be a baffle to direct the air not to be forced straight into the filter but that baffle was not there so I made one out of aluminum. problem solved. My MAF also doesnt have a screen (which some dont, so I am told be the dealer), So your MAF might be bad or its not getting an accurate reading.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:12 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

i had the car at idle and unplugged the maf and plugged it back in etc, it did change in how it was running so i think my MAF is good, my maf has a screen, i'm had a thought, my coolant sensor may be causing the ECU to think my car is running too cold/hot and shutting it down, or not letting it start... i had to popstart it today, a bad maf should not cause m y car not to start, i think i will do the sensor asap then if that doesn't work begin my projeckt.