4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

CAMS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 07:51 PM
mustang_salley

Default CAMS?

I am building my engine and I am not sure what cams to use. I have had problems in the past with using a cam that people suggest to be a good cam, and it was, just not what I was looking for. I want the all out biggest cam I cam put in there. If I didn't I wouldn't be doing all this other work. I want the car to RUN!!!!. I am installing a forged rotating assembly with 10.8:1 compression, rings filed for nos, stage 3 heads from livernouis, headers, off road h-pipe, injectors, mass air, fuel pump....ect.

If anybody has any suggestions on cams and a good tuner?
Old 10-11-2008, 08:39 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Just call comp and tell them what your looking for. They will hook you up. I went with VT and was very happy with them but they are under a different name now and I can't think of it off the top of my head. Someone will chime in though.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:46 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

CMS is the new name for the VT cams.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:33 AM
mustangman281
Banned

Do you have notched pistons?
Old 10-12-2008, 04:44 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

No, you can go all the way to a stage 3 with the CMS cams without notched pistons.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:45 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang_salley
I am building my engine and I am not sure what cams to use. I have had problems in the past with using a cam that people suggest to be a good cam, and it was, just not what I was looking for. I want the all out biggest cam I cam put in there. If I didn't I wouldn't be doing all this other work. I want the car to RUN!!!!. I am installing a forged rotating assembly with 10.8:1 compression, rings filed for nos, stage 3 heads from livernouis, headers, off road h-pipe, injectors, mass air, fuel pump....ect.

If anybody has any suggestions on cams and a good tuner?

The fact that you're building an engine and have to ask these questions is very troublesome. You should know that a custom ground cam is best. Makes me wonder if you're building an engine or just dreaming about it. Don't let you dream turn into a nightmare.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:23 AM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayC
The fact that you're building an engine and have to ask these questions is very troublesome. You should know that a custom ground cam is best. Makes me wonder if you're building an engine or just dreaming about it. Don't let you dream turn into a nightmare.
Or he may have just ment he is getting the parts together to have someone build it for him...
Old 10-12-2008, 01:50 PM
mustang_salley

or maybe I've built other engines but not a 4.6 and I am looking for opinions of others. I have just pulled the engine and will be ordering my rotating assembly and heads this week.

The reason I am so hesitant about ordering a my cams is because when I built my Harley engine I was told by several people that the EV-27 cam was the one to get. Well I wasn't happy with the power of the cam so I installed a EV-59 and YES I BUILT THIS ENGINE!!!!

Since, the cams for my mustang are 600 bucks I don't want to do this twice!

Before I built my EVO I called and got opinions and information about what I was going to do. I am realize that you guys are professionals and knew everything before you ever set your eyes on a 4.6, but I need the input of professionals and people who have acctually tried different cams.

If you acctually have some good experience and knowledge I would greatly appreciate your input. If you don't then there is really no need for you to post anything.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:52 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Did you even read my post? I SAID GET CUSTOM GROUND CAMS! Call CMS, Comp, Fox Lake, or MPH and give them your specs. You don't ask a bunch of interweb morons like ourselves for critical advice on you build. OK?
Old 10-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Call Comp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: CAMS?