4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Chirping noise areound corners

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
If it's happening only with the car stopped or barely moving check this out...

Have someone* rock the steering wheel back and forth, with the engine running, while you stick your head under the front end and observe the steering rack. On my '03 the rack was moving 1/8" or more in synchronisation with the squeak/chirp.

----------------------
* - For obvious reasons make sure this is someone you trust, I had my wife do it and have to admit I was still a bit nervous.
That write-up.. I just had Ford replace the Steering rack bushings like a month ago becasue the tire place couldn't align the car because those bushings were messed up. It came to like.. 200 dollars total to get those bushing replaced.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
That write-up.. I just had Ford replace the Steering rack bushings like a month ago becasue the tire place couldn't align the car because those bushings were messed up. It came to like.. 200 dollars total to get those bushing replaced.
$200! Did they give you any free Vaseline or K-Y jelly to go with that?
Old 10-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

I know, seriousely.. I knew that it was pretty bad. I asked them if they would have to p[ull the rack, and they were like yup. I knew that labor would be harsh after I heard that.

I have seriousely considered a new rack because my steering has slight play in it and it bothers me incredibly, more so than the normal person.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:29 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

They lied, there's no need to pull the rack...

I hear you about the "normal person" part, that's been my problem for 62 years...
Old 10-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

lol, I hate it.. every little thing bothers me on my car. There is a slight rattle in the dash that pisses me off, and my windows occasionally screech when I roll them down after the car has sat in direct sunlight for hours.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:39 PM
P71Vic
1st Gear Member

I have a loud injector that pisses me off, and also a small exhaust leak. since i don't have the money to fix i just roll the windows down and turn up the music to drown out the noise. It still bothers me though.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:43 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You need to fix that (the windows), take the door panels off and lubricate anything that moves with a teflon based waterproof grease.

What will happen is the either the added load will burn out the regulator motor, or one of the glide/operating wheels will sieze up and shatter, or whatever. The screeching is something un-lubricated crying out for help ("oil can, oil can...")
Old 10-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

hmm, interesting.. I cant take apart my doors though, lol I dont want to mess up the pins
Old 10-16-2008, 06:19 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There's a tool, sort of like a flattened two-prong fork, you can but at your FLAPS that will let you get the door trim off without breaking the clips or pulling them from the trim panel.

I've had my doors opened up 3 or 4 times sinmce I got the car a couple years ago, once just to fix the issue you describe...
Old 10-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
There's a tool, sort of like a flattened two-prong fork, you can but at your FLAPS that will let you get the door trim off without breaking the clips or pulling them from the trim panel.

I've had my doors opened up 3 or 4 times sinmce I got the car a couple years ago, once just to fix the issue you describe...
About how long did it take you to disassemble, fix the problem, then reassemble?

Quick Reply: Chirping noise areound corners