4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A few mechanical questions. Help a guy out

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChimChim
Alright so i brought my automatic 2002 gt a few months ago and I have noticed a few problems.

problem #1. My car will make a clunk from something around the transmission to the rear end only, after putting the car in drive and slowly letting the car move with no gas effort. The clunk is clearly heard and felt. Only one time until i repeat the process. The car also has to be warmed up to hear it. I took it to the Ford Dealership and they checked out the transmission. The transmission came up as fine; although they did mention that the transmission would hesitate at a certain speed. Although they did nothing to solve my problem or diagnose the noise.. What does this hesitating mean? Car is no longer under warranty btw.

Problem #2. The stang only at a certain speed around 38-43 when at a certain speed will shudder back and forth jerking the car a bit. It gives me the impression that it can't decide on what gear it wants and it's just switching gears at a rapid rate on it's own. It's really hard to explain and I wish i was a mechanic so i could diagnose these dumb things without spending an arm and leg on diagnostics.. Again it feels like it's source is from the transmission to the rear end. When I floor it and don't let off i feel the rear end "pop" around 50 mph. now this is a 20-55 mph dash with me flooring it. I'm not sure if that is traction or not..

Problem #3 It seems that if i'm rolling around 28-36 and if i floor it, the mustang has like no power. I get a weak acceleration. No kick or anything. Is this normal? However 20 mph and 40 are very nice. Maybe it's just the gearing? Dumb question, but I thought I'd ask.

But like I said these are weak explanations. If anyone could make any sense of them and help a guy out I would greatly appreciate it. If i had cash flowing out my butt.. I would just replace the driveshaft to the rear end, including all the u-joints, etc. Thanks!

-Chris
Sometimes when our cars enter a new gear, they just make a clunk noise.. that's just a sloppy driveshaft, Ford is famous for it.