4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

knocking clutch or tranny? *with vid

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:50 PM
thomas_stang

Default knocking clutch or tranny? *with vid

So im getting a pretty crazy knocking sound coming from either my clutch or tranny.It started while driving yesterday.I downshifted to 2nd gear because i was coming around a corner slowly and as soon as i let the clutch out it began.

The sound is very loud and sounds a lot like a knocking engine but the sound goes away as soon as i push in the clutch..Like goes away 100% which leads me to believe it has to be in either the clutch/tranny.

The car still moves just fine which leads me to believe its not the transmission.Im not positive but i would assume if the tranny was broken enough to be making a sound like this it wouldn't still be working properly.The clutch is a Ford Racing king cobra installed about 5,000 miles ago and has been working great since install.

Im really confused on what could be causing the noise. I plan on pulling the tranny this week in hopes that its just a broken spring or something like that on the clutch.But if i dont visually see anything broken on the clutch/pressure plate im really going to be lost.

BTW..The car has never seen the track. Never been on slicks or drag radials.Ive never done any crazy 5k clutch drops or anything like that.The worst beating the car ever sees is a burnout/donut or an easy run through the gears.I have had this car for 3 years and have put almost 50k miles on it and aside from a noisy t/o bearing and one squeeking idler pulley this is the only thing to ever break.

video of the sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVt0wAOiYiA

Anybody ever have a similar problem?

Last edited by thomas_stang; 10-20-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:53 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

It's difficult to pin point, but you should jack the car up on the drivers side just enough for you to get under the car to better find the problem. It doesn't sound good and i hope it's not your engine. When you downshifted to 2nd, what gear did you down shift from and has fast were you going.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:14 PM
thomas_stang

I was going probably 15 mph or so..just from 3rd to 2nd because i was going slow to make the turn.Just your everyday average downshift.No harsh clutch release or hard throttle or anything.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:18 AM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

I dont know how mechanically inclined you are or how willing you are to take things apart but I would get the car on jack stands and drop the tyranny. Take a peek and see how bad it is. If you get in over your head or to a point where you don't feel comfortable working anymore you can always call AAA and have the cat towed to a shop.

My guess is its a destroyed throwout bearing. Or a broken clutch disk but that is less likely if you baby the car.

Last edited by defconfire; 10-21-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:58 PM
thomas_stang

Im pretty mechanically inclined.Ive done every mod or repair to the car so far.I am the one that installed the king cobra clutch about 5000 miles ago. i do plan to take the tranny out but if i take it apart and its not the clutch or pressure plate im not gonna know where to go from there and ill have a torn apart car.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:01 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Do you have another car or method of transportation?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Woah dude.... that's no engine noise, so I think you're good there at least.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:46 AM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

its gotta be something to do with the clutch. when you pull it out just go with process of elimination for the thowout bearing, pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate. good luck.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:56 AM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

i bet its just a busted clutch..how do you treat her for the most part? edit:nvm the question, just didnt read the last paragraph before looking at the video..

Last edited by GeritGoul; 10-23-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:38 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

use a stethoscope to listen to exactly where the noise is coming from. my friend had this happen to his PI swapped 98 gt and i found it was coming from inside the belhousing. turned out he had a cracked flywheel chattering. it could be a multiple of things. anywhere from a loose flywheel or clutch. no pilot bearing, etc. it just all depends. its hard to tell without actually being there.

Quick Reply: knocking clutch or tranny? *with vid