4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

5 speed short throw shifters

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:05 PM
TX97GT
2nd Gear Member

I've driven with a Tri-Ax and also my MGW.

That being said, I still vote MGW
Old 10-21-2008, 11:09 PM
flakm

I have the Steeda Tri-ax myself. It's awesome. I also have the Hurst Pistol Grip. Wouldn't trade all of it for anything else.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:40 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Do all short throw shifters feel horrible when you have your hand on the ****? Like.. mine feels like metal and clingy grinding that I can feel through the ****...
Most (maybe all) short throw shifters eliminate the rubber isolators used in the OEM shifter to provide a more precise feel, this will transfer more of the normal transmission NVH through to the lever. And this will vary a bit depending on the selected gear, I have found that on most 3650's 3rd gear has a bit of a "grindy" feeling to it if you slightly load the lever while accelerating.

Of course then there's the thing my grandfather drummed into my head, "The shift lever is not a hand rest, if you're not shifting keep your GD hands off of it." It's not quite so true now as with older transmission designs, but resting your hand on the lever will load the shift forks and cause premature wear.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:42 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

ive driven an MGW and a Hurst...i own the hurst.....the hurst has a shorter throw than mgw by far!! but its more notchy, the mgw is still a short throw but its smooth as can be...i love my hurst and wouldnt switch to an mgw, but nobody else who has ever driven my car has liked the shifter...so to each their own....if you dont mind notchy, then hurst is the way to go, but if you want smooth then mgw is great

heard great things about pro 5.0, i would love to try one out

heard a lot of bad things about the steeda tri-ax
Old 10-22-2008, 07:43 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Most (maybe all) short throw shifters eliminate the rubber isolators used in the OEM shifter to provide a more precise feel, this will transfer more of the normal transmission NVH through to the lever. And this will vary a bit depending on the selected gear, I have found that on most 3650's 3rd gear has a bit of a "grindy" feeling to it if you slightly load the lever while accelerating.

Of course then there's the thing my grandfather drummed into my head, "The shift lever is not a hand rest, if you're not shifting keep your GD hands off of it." It's not quite so true now as with older transmission designs, but resting your hand on the lever will load the shift forks and cause premature wear.
my stang is fine because my hurst is very stiff and has the shift stops all set etc....but in my probe if you rest your hand on the shifter and slightly move it in any direction, you can hear a very faint rubbing/grinding sound
Old 10-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I'm gonna keep my hand off the shifter now because that's the second time I have heard someone say that. I really hope I don't have the MGW shifter, because my shifts kind of suck.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:26 PM
HateWhatOwnsYou
2nd Gear Member

i cheaped out with a $120 summit racing short throw

it was a little stiff at first, but it real nice now.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:05 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

The shifter was one of the first things I changed because I figured that since i'm using it constantly when I drive I mightaswell get a much better one.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:17 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

I went hurst more for the looks...I think it shifts awesome as well.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Young_Buck
2nd Gear Member

MGW FTW i drove my buddies 2000 GT and now mine feels like chit. The springs on the side are preloaded so much that right when you take it outta gear the goes right to the center for 3rd. It makes you car feel so much tighter.

Quick Reply: 5 speed short throw shifters