4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Issues with clutch cable kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:50 PM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

Default Issues with clutch cable kit

I bought a UPR clutch quadrant, UPR firewall adjuster, and a dallas mustangs cable from a local shop here. For having it _NOW_ I got it all at a decent price. 110$.

That being said, I'm having some trouble, the car won't start. I think I need to bottom out the screws on the cable, which I'll try tomorrow, but with usual jam a pry bar in and pull the clutch fork forward to install the cable, would I have done anything wrong and broke maybe the starter? The clutch pedal does not go all the way down, and I'm thinking that is my current problem... does anybody know of any way to override the clutch pedal position sensor so I can make sure my car can fire up?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:44 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If the clutch pedal does not go to the floor then the cable is way too tight. You should have 1" to 1-1/4" freeplay in the pedal when pressing on it with your hand, before you feel the throw-out bearing just start to release the clutch.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:58 AM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

I'm not impressed by this kit at all. My firewall adjuster is bottomed out and my cable set nuts are pretty close to the end.I'll get them all the way at the end later, but I'm thinking there isn't much play in it at all.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:26 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Is it a multiple hook quadrant? If so, which hook are you using?

If there are hooks closer to the firewall use one of those. Also, on some cables (including the OEM cable) there is a plastic flange/bushing that needs to be cut off to allow the cable to seat fully into the adjuster.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:34 AM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Is it a multiple hook quadrant? If so, which hook are you using?

If there are hooks closer to the firewall use one of those. Also, on some cables (including the OEM cable) there is a plastic flange/bushing that needs to be cut off to allow the cable to seat fully into the adjuster.
It's a single hook, but I know I got about a quarter of play on the cable end still. I'm going to bottom it out and just adjust at the firewall adjuster.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 AM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

I really hope my car is not turning off due to the cpp.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:09 AM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

i have the steeda kit and had no problems but i got the double hook quadrent too
Old 10-24-2008, 09:44 AM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

I juts really hope the not starting issue is the CPP sensor. I can't wait t go home and fix it.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:29 PM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

Installed the firewall adjuster reverse of the way I had it and it gave me full depression of the cable. I'm wondering if that will give me some more adjustability in the end of the cable. Also it seems really stiff.

Would some kind of teflon lubricant (WD-40, JB-80, etc) help or hurt the cable?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:34 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

the instructions that came with my steeda cable said do not lube the cable with anything cause it will attract dirt and dust to the cable causing it to bind.

Quick Reply: Issues with clutch cable kit