4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Smooth idle return

Old 05-27-2005, 02:18 AM
|MusTang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Smooth idle return

ok done 2 plate for my car.one with a 5/16 hole.wich i tried first but was to big.not droping fast enough.made another one with a 7/32 hole.cold is not that bad,idle a little high in the begining but not that bad.but when hot,drop very fast.to fast as it will stall sometimes.so i am gonna open the hole a little bigger and it should be perfect.
i took me around 30minutes to do one plate and not even five to put it in.
and the car bubble a lot more in the exhaust.like my old carburated F-Bird hehe.

made them from 7075 aircraft aluminium .063" thick.
very good mod if you ask me.

and on my car,the IAC only have one hole.not 2 like the mach1 in the links.so i needed to drill only one small hole and no big one.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:37 AM
sq2drsq

ok........I am gona show my newb sataus here but what is the IAC and how does restricting it make it better? I was always under the impression that the lesser the restriction the better. can someone clarify for me?
Old 05-27-2005, 12:08 PM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SilverGTV8

Cheaper solution is a 1/2" copper cap. Drill a 1/4" hole in the end and insert it into the IAC feed line. Revs will be much better. Cost you all of 40cents. You'll spend more time gettign the cap then making it and installing it.
When you say 1/2", do you mean 1/2" OD (meaning the hose is 1/2" ID) or for a 1/2" fitting? I'm thinking about giving this a try tonight... I guess I could just run out to the parking lot, and check, but... Might just do that. I think we've probably got something here in the shop I can use for this...

sq2drsq, read about it here:
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...threadid=18330
Old 05-27-2005, 12:17 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: sq2drsq

ok........I am gona show my newb sataus here but what is the IAC and how does restricting it make it better? I was always under the impression that the lesser the restriction the better. can someone clarify for me?
IAC = Idle Air Control (valve or motor)

Restricting it allows a hanging idle to drop faster. It has no effect on performance, other than the sound when letting off the throttle is more like that of a carbuerated engine.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:22 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Just go to the plumbing section of the hardware store and pick up a few 1/2 copper caps. The people there should (better) know what you are talking about. If you get a few you can try a couple of different sized holes. The smaller the hole, the faster the RPMs will drop but idle ability will drop to the point of stalling if the motor is put under load.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:58 PM
|MusTang
2nd Gear Member

not to forget it sometime idle a little higher with a restrictor plate.just have tto find the good hole size for you.
and when you let go the gas while runing,damn it sound nice with this mod.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:17 AM
snlpa
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: |MusTang

not to forget it sometime idle a little higher with a restrictor plate.just have tto find the good hole size for you.
and when you let go the gas while runing,damn it sound nice with this mod.
Yea and it also will affect air conditioning. Hole size is important.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:52 PM
The02GT
3rd Gear Member

5/16 is PERFECT for my car idle drops instantly when i start my car in the morning and when i rev, but when i have the ac on it idles at 550-600 rpm. But as far as that guy selling that on ebay for $15 that pi$$es me off i can make 50 of these in 10 mins and sell them easy for $7.00 shipped, i guess i will have to do that...
Old 05-31-2005, 04:11 PM
BLKsteeda

I bought mine from someone on Stangnet for $7.50 shipped...not really impressed...not much difference.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:33 PM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

I did this over the weekend. I used a plastic threaded bushing from a B&M shifter ****. Worked great. I used a 1/4" drill bit, and just reamed it out a hair...

Idle drops nicely now. I get a little more sound from the intake, but I'll live with it... The thing I like the most is that shifting seems so much smoother, since the RPM's fall to just about where they need to be for the next gear when upshifting in normal driving...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smooth idle return