4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vert Mustang window clearance problem..

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:10 AM
bikr

Default Vert Mustang window clearance problem..

My new mustang came near perfect, with 1 flaw.. The convertible top had a small spot where the protective coating had been worn off. I didn't think much of it until this morning.

Upon closing the passenger side door, I noticed the window glass was resting on the spot where it was rubbed off.. This caused the glass to be pushed outward and a gap was created. To fix this, I actually had to fold the edge up and reshut the door then let it down..

Now I know most verts when you open the door the window will go down just a small bit then back up when you close the door to reseal properly.

Am I correct in assuming this is not a feature of the 1998 mustang? Also, has anyone else witnessed this, and how can I overcome it?

Thanks guys!
--Josh
Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 AM
jjandascog
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the glass has come out of the rear window channel, a common problem. I fixed it by just re-gluing (with 3M window adhesive) the window in the channel.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:56 AM
bikr

jj: Can you take some photos of what you mean? or does it require the door panel be removed?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:03 AM
mustangman281
Banned

Same problem on my wifes vert. I just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

Where did you get the 3m window adhesive?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 AM
bikr

I am not even sure how to tell if it's the same problem, the window seems fine in the track etc, until I shut the door and it catches it.. If I lift the convertible trim up and shut the door it is perfectly aligned. Same issue?
Old 10-27-2008, 12:12 PM
jjandascog
1st Gear Member

You have to take off the door panel to make sure that is the problem. I got the window adhesive at Autozone. Here is the little write up I did after I fixed the problem, sorry I did not take any pics.

Checked the glass last night and the glass has come out of the rear bracket. I also did find the up adjustment but it is not on the motor as you said it is part of the problem that these mustang have with the glass coming out of the rear bracket. The stop on the rear of the glass used the back of the rear bracket as the point of contact to stop the window. This causes a moment on the bracket that probably contributes the glass coming un-glued. Once it has come unglued the stop bracket then causes the bracket to rotate down which in turn pushed the rear of the window up causing it to sit to high and in my case rub the roof trim.

Got the window glued back I also added a small bolt next to the rivet that holds the glass to the regulator. Hopefully that will keep this from happening again
Old 10-27-2008, 06:24 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Originally Posted by bikr
I am not even sure how to tell if it's the same problem, the window seems fine in the track etc, until I shut the door and it catches it.. If I lift the convertible trim up and shut the door it is perfectly aligned. Same issue?
Yup exact same problem. I found it 2 years ago when I had the top replaced and the shop showed me why the window was catching on the top. They wanted to replace the window assembly (not under the insurance like the top) so I decided to fix it myself. Just never did.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:26 AM
bikr

i pulled the panel off and you're right, the rear guide is not attached. Just to be sure.. I am supposed to lift the guide up to the window and glue, not push the window down right? Also, where can I buy this adhesive, auto parts stores? or home depot type place?