4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

rear-end problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:53 PM
brock_07
1st Gear Member

Default rear-end problem?

today when i was takin my tranny out, when i took the driveshaft out i noticed that it was leakin rear-end grease from the part that the driveshaft connects to...what could this be and what do i need to do to fix it?

thanks
Old 10-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Pinion seal. You need basic hand tools. Unless Ford has a special seal puller. Sorry, I'm kind of drunk now. Someone else can give the exact details.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 PM
brock_07
1st Gear Member

thanks man....hopefully i get get all of this fixed this week so i can get it broke in before i take it to the track
Old 10-27-2008, 10:24 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Its most likely the pinion seal.. However when you or who ever replaces it make sure they put some RTV on the threads of the pinion nut.. I have seen 8.8s leak straight thru the threads and the seal itself is still fine.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:32 PM
brock_07
1st Gear Member

ok thanks, ill probably get the guy that put my gears in do it unless its kinda simple...how do i install the seal and about how much does it cost?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:49 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by brock_07
today when i was takin my tranny out, when i took the driveshaft out i noticed that it was leakin rear-end grease from the part that the driveshaft connects to...what could this be and what do i need to do to fix it?

thanks
Its your pinion seal leaking. You need to jack the car up on all 4 jacks and crack the rear end cover slowly let the oil drip out. After you're done with that. Pop the car in neutral or gear whichever tranny you have and pull on the e- brake. Mark the driveshaft and then take the driveshaft bolts out and slowly lower the driveshaft. You are gona need to rent pinion seal puller or flange from auto zone to pull it off. After you pull the flange off take the old seal out. I highly suggest you go to checkers auto parts and buy the SFK seal. I have it on mine and it works great. I ran timken and it was crap it leaked. SFK is double seal so its some good stuff. Place RTV around outside of the seal and slowly hammer it in.It'll be a bitch to put in but hammer on it and be careful with the housing. After you have the seal on clean the cover off put RTV around it and place it back. Fill the fill plug with gear oil. You might wana get a piece of hose that connects to the bottle for easier fill up. When its start draining out (usually after 2.5 quarts) just take a 3/8s rachet and put it back it tighten it up. Wipe all the oil that drained and take it ouf for a spin after you lower it.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:49 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

BTW you're gona need to buy a new pinion nut because every time you torque the new one and take it off its not a good idea to put it back on. They're only like 6 bucks.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:23 AM
brock_07
1st Gear Member

that sounds kinda simple... the only thing bad is there aint a checkers around here but i got one there web site and found the seal for like 13 bucks as for the pinion nut i couldnt find one...where could i get it? and thanks for the help
Old 10-28-2008, 01:38 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Is ther Shucks? Kragen? I paid 14 for mine 15 with tax. For the pinion nut your local driveline shop has gota one.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:56 AM
brock_07
1st Gear Member

haha nope we got an advance auto and a napa, unless i wanna drive an hour and half

Quick Reply: rear-end problem?