4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:37 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Default supercharger question

I'm planning on getting a procharger installed on my 03' gt. Since superchargers shorten the life of an engine how long can I expect to keep my motor which has 35,000 miles on it if I supercharger it? Basically how long of a life span would it typically have left if it was supercharged? It's gonna be my daily driver so I need to know. Supporting mods I have are long tube header, high flow X pipe, and a borla muffler. Anyone's help would be great. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Who told you they shorten the life of an engine? The only thing that shortens the life of an engine is taking poor care of it.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:41 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xemeth
Who told you they shorten the life of an engine? The only thing that shortens the life of an engine is taking poor care of it.
I read it on the procharger website under the faqs section. If I'm wrong then by all means PLEASE tell me why I am. I really want to know.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:37 AM
NotStok
3rd Gear Member

Taken from Procharger's FAQ, which is where I assume you read this:

"Will a supercharger shorten the life of my engine or drivetrain?

That is a very subjective question, as the manner in which an automobile is driven directly affects engine life. Assuming a properly tuned system, proper oil change and engine maintenance, and similar driving, supercharging generally will not shorten the life of an engine, just as is the case with OEM turbocharging (with proper cooldown for turbochargers. A cooldown period after driving is not necessary with supercharging). This is especially true of centrifugal supercharging, which generates boost in line with engine rpm, unlike roots and twin screw blowers, whose low rpm boost can place additional strain on the engine and drive train."

Basically, have the car tuned properly, maintain it as you normally (hopefully) would, and don't go over revving on a daily basis, the blower shouldn't have a massive effect on your motor, especially if you're well within your bottom end's safe limits.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:30 AM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

I've been running 10 psi for over a year now. My car runs great. I don't drag race it at every stop sign. It also depends on how much boost you run too. Stay with 8psi and you'll be fine.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:08 AM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Obsequious1
I've been running 10 psi for over a year now. My car runs great. I don't drag race it at every stop sign. It also depends on how much boost you run too. Stay with 8psi and you'll be fine.
Why does the amount of boost matter? Don't superchargers give increases in percentages? Does it work like the higher the boost the higher the percentage?I'm looking to get the magic number of 400whp. That's the magic number everyone tells me that my car can make safely.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:23 AM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

The amount of boost directly correlates to the amount of power. I think about 15 hp/psi is the average.

And 400 is usually the magic number, But 375 rwhp is a safer number IMO. Because the rods are rated at 450 bhp from Ford. 375 rwhp equates to around 440 bhp which is close to the edge but 400 rwhp exceddes that limit and is about 470bhp. But thats just my .02

That is just the way I look at it, But there have been people that have good luck/good tuning and have exceded those numbers.

So ask yourself "Do you feel lucky, Punk?"
Old 11-03-2008, 09:52 AM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

So 375hp to the wheels is the best number to obtain?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:05 AM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

That's what I would shoot for, others may say more But IMO better safe than sorry.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:07 AM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by defconfire
That's what I would shoot for, others may say more But IMO better safe than sorry.
If I wanted to go higher then what mods would I need to get up to lets say 500 to the wheels safely?

Quick Reply: supercharger question