4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

want to get a trubo system

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:50 PM
ICKABOB

Default want to get a trubo system

Hey! first day on this site. I am looking to get a turbo system for my car... i have an 2000 gt, 5 spd, with bassani x pipe, no cats, bassani mufflers. My question is what is the best turbo to get and what will i need to do to the motor..... can i run stock internals, if not what exactly do i have to do besides tunning at the end to make my car run on pump gas and be reliable to cruze as a daily driver. i want to get a twin turbo set up and am completly new to the turbo seen so all imput and direction is needed. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:21 PM
4literGasEater

Originally Posted by ICKABOB
Hey! first day on this site. I am looking to get a turbo system for my car... i have an 2000 gt, 5 spd, with bassani x pipe, no cats, bassani mufflers. My question is what is the best turbo to get and what will i need to do to the motor..... can i run stock internals, if not what exactly do i have to do besides tunning at the end to make my car run on pump gas and be reliable to cruze as a daily driver. i want to get a twin turbo set up and am completly new to the turbo seen so all imput and direction is needed. Thanks.
your question is very open ended, what kind of power levels are you going for? adding boost can become a very tangled web if not thought through. trust me im in the situation now. stock blocks can usally handle anywhere from 370-420ish but anything past 400 is chancing it. Also why do you want a turbo over a supercharger? how much do you plan to mod the car in the future? these are all questions you need to ask yourself before taking the very expensive plunge for boost.

so post the amount of power you hope to get and i will tell you my opinion!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4literGasEater
your question is very open ended, what kind of power levels are you going for? adding boost can become a very tangled web if not thought through. trust me im in the situation now. stock blocks can usally handle anywhere from 370-420ish but anything past 400 is chancing it. Also why do you want a turbo over a supercharger? how much do you plan to mod the car in the future? these are all questions you need to ask yourself before taking the very expensive plunge for boost.

so post the amount of power you hope to get and i will tell you my opinion!
This is true for a supercharged engine. Turbos are more efficient and put less strain on the motor. I have seen new edges running 500 RWHP no problem with a turbo system. I would say 450-500 is safe. Over 500 might be pushing it.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:31 PM
ICKABOB

would you go with the kenne bell over the vortech
Old 11-04-2008, 09:38 PM
4literGasEater

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
This is true for a supercharged engine. Turbos are more efficient and put less strain on the motor. I have seen new edges running 500 RWHP no problem with a turbo system. I would say 450-500 is safe. Over 500 might be pushing it.
yes and no, back pressure is back pressure across the board. less strain in the way of tension on the motor, but about the same on cumbustion cycle. you have to remember that stock rings are not meant for boost on our 2v's
Old 11-04-2008, 09:41 PM
4literGasEater

Originally Posted by ICKABOB
would you go with the kenne bell over the vortech

as for your question, its a completely different system. kenne bells, or anything other positive displacement charger like that will build boost quickly, but pull a lot less harder than a centrifical supercharger. pretty much in your case if you don't expect high numbers, its completely up to how hard you want your car to pull initially.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:14 PM
1999mustang2000
5th Gear Member

gte a novi 2000 thats what im goin with
Old 11-04-2008, 10:30 PM
NinetySix GT
2nd Gear Member

If its your daily driver, I think you would enjoy a KB. Nothing wrong with a 375+ rwhp DD.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 PM
4literGasEater

Originally Posted by NinetySix GT
If its your daily driver, I think you would enjoy a KB. Nothing wrong with a 375+ rwhp DD.
i drove my p1sc almost everyday all summer, it made 383rwtq and 380rwhp. its a reliable setup if you tune it properly, just dont get boost happy.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:39 PM
NinetySix GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4literGasEater
i drove my p1sc almost everyday all summer, it made 383rwtq and 380rwhp. its a reliable setup if you tune it properly, just dont get boost happy.
I wouldn't doubt it one bit! He just needs to tell us his goals so we can make a more educated decision on what he needs.

Quick Reply: want to get a trubo system