4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Flowmaster mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:16 PM
UmX
3rd Gear Member

Default Flowmaster mufflers

I used to have 2 original 40 series flows single chamber .. i really hate my slp sound.. and trying to find a flow that will fit..

wat is the difference from American thunder, delta force and the original mufflers.?

im shooting my self in the foot right now for selling my old ones..
Old 11-11-2008, 11:27 PM
6sphere
1st Gear Member

Everything you need to know is below.

http://flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html
Old 11-12-2008, 12:47 AM
devore86
2nd Gear Member

Autozone has em
Old 11-12-2008, 02:50 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Do you just have SLP mufflers or the whole catback? Are you planning on a flowmaster catback or just the mufflers? I would get the wholecatback.

Before the Stingers I have on now I had some super 40's welded in for like a month. I got it as something temporary as I was waiting for the SSS catback to come back to stock. I kinda regretted it as it was kinda expensive for a temporary thing. Anyway, I always knew about how the 40 series had bad drone, and the guys at the muffler shop held up different mufflers so I can hear what I wanted. the original 40's sounded best but I was worried about the drone so I went with the super 40's which was a bit mellow and had supposedly much less drone.

During the time I had it on my car, I was pretty dissappointed. It really sounded like stock except 1.5 times louder. It didn't drone much on the freeway as I was usually cruising on 5th at about 1700-1900rpm's. Once you reach 2k, the drone starts to come out but it wasn't that bad. I'm sure the original 40's are much worse. It was still kinda annoying at times though. I usually drive with my windows down and blast the music but I know if I had my window's up and be talking to someone whilst cruising at 2k, it would be quite annoying.

The "delta flow" technology to my understanding (which is what I supposedly had on mine) was just the regular 40's with revised chambers to lower the drone.

I'm not sure what American Thunder is, I thought it was just the name for the entire original 40 catback. I guess if you really like flowmasters and don't drive on the freeway too much then get the originals since they sound the best. But I would strongly recommend something else like Bassani, Borla, or Magnaflow...they sound really good.

I got my stingers used on ebay for a decent price so I decided to jump on it. I am not usually a fan of loud exhausts and judging from videos on youtube, the Borla's seemed REALLY obnoxiously loud. But once I realized how quiet my flowmasters were, I realized that things are not as loud in real life as it seems on youtube. So once I had the Borla's on and started it, the first thing that went through my mind was "DEEP". It has a great deep sound. Doesn't really drone either. At idle it's actually not loud at all. I guess I am getting used to it too on the streets to not think it is that loud but it's really not that bad. Once you change the headers or midpipes i'm sure it will get a much louder.

Check out the SSS catback once it comes back to stock. It's like out of stock almost everywhere. Stangmods.com seems to have the best price but they've been out of stock there for like 2-3 months. I emailed them like 5 weeks ago and they said it should be back in like 30-60 days. Many people say it sounds just like Borla for half the price. I think the reason why it's not big is because people are just driven up over name brands. I mean for the $379 plus the discount you can get from a code, you get a 2.5" mandrel bent catback made from 304 stainless polished throughout with straight-through mufflers and 3.5" angle cut rolled tips. You really can't beat that. On youtube I think the only SSS video you can get for a new edge is one on a mach 1. Check it out.

Last edited by StriderTacticaL; 11-12-2008 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:36 AM
UmX
3rd Gear Member

this is how it souns now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osvSM6wPEyA

no i have long tubes to Off road H then slp lm1's
i used to have long tubes to o/r h to 40 series single chambers
Old 11-12-2008, 11:03 AM
iMTB
2nd Gear Member

I had flowmasters on my 3.8 s/c and it droned sooooooo bad. I have flowmasters on the stang and there is 0 drone. Not sure what kind of flows I have but they sound good. I want to switch to a single chamber muffler like the LM or a moroso spiral flow or dynomax bullet so its obnoxiously loud with my cam and longtubes.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:48 AM
cobrasvtcoupe25

You might want to just weld in some magnapacks into your SLP catback.

I think that would be a good option for you
Old 11-12-2008, 12:02 PM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

forget flows, and get mac mufflers
Old 11-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

I really don't understand why everyone hates the drone. I purposefully try to cruise in the drone range...call me crazy. I have flow 40 mufflers and o/r h and love the sound. a vid is on my cardomain in the link below in sig.

props to your 1/4 mile time...almost the EXACT as me. +1 for crazy spinning on street tires
Old 11-12-2008, 01:20 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Well yeah the LM1's sound like ****

And if you are taking a really long trip on the freeway and have people you are trying to talk to then the drone does get really annoying

Quick Reply: Flowmaster mufflers