4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Lowering Springs

Old 11-12-2008, 08:17 AM
agarr19
3rd Gear Member

Default Lowering Springs

can i get away with just the springs or will i need to get other stuff?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:03 AM
vroompshhtsi
1st Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/57279-lowering-your-94-04-4-6-gt-mach-1-cobra.html

General rule is if you lower your car more than 1.5" you should get aftermarket shocks/struts and cc plates.

I lowered my 03 GT with Eibach pro-kit (1-1.5") and nothing else (no shocks/struts or cc plates). So far it rides pretty much exactly the same as stock. Stock ride wasn't good so obviously it still sucks.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:06 AM
blee69mustang
4th Gear Member

if your gonna go professional racing, and still want the geometry of your turning right. might wanna get your spindles raised. but you'll need bump steer for sure. and recommended that you get caster/camber plates as well. you could get away with just springs tho. please don't cut them tho.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:25 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blee69mustang
if your gonna go professional racing, and still want the geometry of your turning right. might wanna get your spindles raised. but you'll need bump steer for sure. and recommended that you get caster/camber plates as well. you could get away with just springs tho. please don't cut them tho.

why cant you cut them. they are not progressive rate springs, in no wy shape or form is cutting your stock springs bad for them or your car.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:27 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

I would say that if you are exceeding 1.5" if not I would still recommend at least tockico shocks & struts.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:58 AM
blee69mustang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
why cant you cut them. they are not progressive rate springs, in no wy shape or form is cutting your stock springs bad for them or your car.
each spring is made to with stand a certain amount of weight. but cutting your springs your going to start messing up your suspension. your gonna have less coils to take impact. its way better to get new springs. the springs are made a certain stiffness to transfer power under accelerating braking so on. but by having them to soft(or cut) could cause you to bottom out while braking and could make the car plow through turns(bad handling). ya its good to lower your car. but also if you accidentally cut your spring you could bottom out every where and loose control suddenly(seen it before on a track, guy rolled his car because he did exactly what your dong.)
Old 11-12-2008, 12:48 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

each spring is made to with stand a certain amount of weight. but cutting your springs your going to start messing up your suspension. your gonna have less coils to take impact. its way better to get new springs. the springs are made a certain stiffness to transfer power under accelerating braking so on. but by having them to soft(or cut) could cause you to bottom out while braking and could make the car plow through turns(bad handling). ya its good to lower your car. but also if you accidentally cut your spring you could bottom out every where and loose control suddenly(seen it before on a track, guy rolled his car because he did exactly what your dong.)
The stock springs have a static rate regardless of coils present, they are not progressive.. ppl have been cutting there springs for years and years and years; as long as u dont clip more than a coil coil and a half you should have ZERO issues.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:26 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

I have been driving around on a 2 inch drop for over a year. No C/C plates, no after market struts or shocks, just rotate the tires and balence them regularly and you will be fine.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:18 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by agarr19
can i get away with just the springs or will i need to get other stuff?
Go with poly bushings, get rid of stock rubber bushings
Old 11-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Young_Buck
2nd Gear Member

Ive been rollin on 2in drop front and 1.5 in drop rear. You can do it without other "stuff."

Im gonna get struts and better shocks. Maxspeed springs FTL unless lookin like sex is what you want.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering Springs