4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

It is a 1 heat range cooler spark plug.

Are you dead set on KB, if so read this..

http://kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-t...gtTechTips.pdf
Old 11-12-2008, 03:47 PM
anolis

this is a really nice technical paper, i'll be sure to read..

i'm not really dead set on anything at the moment, im completely open to any kind of suggestions that people throw at me.. i still need to get exhaust done xD
Old 11-12-2008, 03:57 PM
anolis

in your opinion how good of a supercharger does Kenne Bell put out? are there other brands, that you might consider to be better?
Old 11-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Ok I have a question.......It sounds a lot like your ultimate goal is a lot of power. Which leads me to believe you have plans to add more power after your supercharger. I have news for you......you're already pushing it on those stock parts. When these guys say yea you CAN run it on stock internals but you really need to be safe about your tune and boost, THEY MEAN IT. You're risk has certainly gone up to blow your motor. So heres my question.....start from the bottom up.....you're doing it backwards if you want to ever put anything more than that supercharger on there.

Why dont you start with beefing up your rods, cyl heads, crank, cams, valvetrain and possibly block. This will net you 75% of the power a S/C will give you and will eliminate that risk that's still in the back of your mind. This will also make it so that putting that S/C on top of those upgrades will wake that pony up like no other. Its up to you though. But I can guarantee you that you wont be putting anything else on that motor after that S/C......not safely at least. So unless you know you're going to be contempt with a S/C and tune only....you better start with internals first.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:13 PM
anolis

hmmm think ill have to follow your suggestion hangwire.. i suspect that the engine i have in there now has about 100,000 miles on it, but there's no way to tell because the people that had it before me put 4:10 gears in the back without changing the speedo gear.. so that made the mileage go up like crazy.. would you recommend starting with a new engine?
Old 11-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by anolis
hmmm think ill have to follow your suggestion hangwire.. i suspect that the engine i have in there now has about 100,000 miles on it, but there's no way to tell because the people that had it before me put 4:10 gears in the back without changing the speedo gear.. so that made the mileage go up like crazy.. would you recommend starting with a new engine?
Not necessarily, the block you have should be iron and i believe they are rated at somthing like 800 hp/tq. so unless you plan on building a 1000hp motor, than its good. Whjat he is refering to it buying the forged internals first and then getting the blower. This way, you wont have to tear the motor apart to do the install once the s/c is on.
If you were to forge the internals, when you would finally get a s/c, there would be no real limit as to how hard you could push the s/c. Therefor, istead of running 9-11 lbs of boost like most of us, you could go strait to say 14psi making 500hp/tq. You wouldn't be affraid of "blowing" the motor.

If i had to do it all over again, I would have forged the motor before the blower went on.
Don't get me wrong, 400 hp/tq is fun as hell. its the most powerful car i have ever driven, but i bet 500 hp/tq feels that much better!!!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:32 PM
anolis

so what part should i replace first?
Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Well if you are talking about forged internals, do them all at once.
There are many places you could call, tell them what you are trying to do and they will help you out with your build.
They have DSS racing, MMR, THR,ect... I can't think of anymore of the top of my head right now. i'm sure some one will chime in with more places you could call.
All these places specialize in this stuff and will be more than willing to help you.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:44 PM
anolis

how much does this whole build process usually end up costing?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Can't give you the accurate help you need there on prices. But I really think the best decision for you if you DEFINITELY plan to put a blower on there is to go internals first(Cylinder Heads, Piston rods/heads, Camshafts, Crankshaft, Valvetrain). Do NOT underestimate what upgrading these components will do. Not only will you be throwing out WAY more HP.....the key is for you that it will make it so you can add pretty much all the power you want up to 800 HP. If you wanna push it past 800HP not only do you better have alot of money you better upgrade your block. You don't know how bad I wish I was in the situation to upgrade that large, and you bet your *** id be doing all internals first and be smiling ear to ear about it. Just wait till you put some nice exhaust on that thing after you upgrade your cams. Your **** will sound like a tank.

What the hell were the people thinking that didn't update the computer after 4.10s? Oh and......considering you have 4.10s.....a supercharger might also be too much for 4.10s on a stock motor/tranny. Most of these guys run 3.73 or 3.90s with S/C because it packs so much punch.

Quick Reply: superchargers