4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vacuum Control Motor, how to repair it problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:26 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by bs46488
Can you post, PM, or email me the instructions for the replacement of the first two motors?

Also, is there any way I can tell or see that the motors are not functioning before I rip my dash apart? Like, can I see them through the radio bezel opening, or if I take the outside windshield wiper cowl off, will I see the door stuck open (or closed).

My car is always radiating hot air, so my guess is that the system is letting through hot air from the engine bay, and not opening to a fresh air source. Is that possible? Which motor would it be most likely?
So the blend door is stuck? IS your only problem the hot air blowing constantly? You should be able to see the one if not both doors thru the radio bezel.. Removing the radio first obviously. The defrost door isnt clearly visible. You might be able to see it under the glove box, or looking thru the glovebox (you can lower it all the way if u squeeze the tabs inward with the glovebox down). First step to replacing any of these motors is removing the dash. The rest is pretty straight forward. You can test the motors to see if they will operate under vacuum with a vacuum pump. You will need to remove the HVAC control head and unplug the vacuum connector. There will be blue/red/black/yellow lines. All going to a motor (black is your feed) From there you can manually apply vacuum to each line and test operation of each motor. Doing this will tell you if the line will hold vacuum, if the motor will operate, etc....
Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 AM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
p0100 is a MAF sensor fault.. Make sure it has a good connection, unplug it, plug it back in, and then clean the sensor itself (thin wire in intake tube) with an appropriate cleaner. p0411 is your air injection code...which is pretty generic as far as description goes, basically check to see if the air pump is still plugged in (under passenger headlight, gotta pull the fenderwell down to get a good look) make sure the air pump hose is still intact.. Or check to see if its operating at all when the engine is running. p1260 is a "theft detected vehicle immobilized code" The car starts right? sometimes the PATS system gets screwy and will throw it, but not cause any symptoms. Clear the KAM (keep alive memory) and retry. Last, p0442 is a EVAP leak detected code. Is the gas cap tight? Could be one of the plastic and/or rubber lines has a crack, or the vapor management valve is acting up. You will need to get it smoke tested to diag it properly.

Thank you, you completely explained all the one line error messages I get, I will check all those. I believe the gf had the air pump changed so maybe it wasnt placed correctly.

For the gas cap error, I thought it might be that, but a few weeks ago when she came to a full stop after filling up, her car was dripping gas from under and I wasn't sure from where, it was strange because it hasnt done it again. But i did check the grommet and it didn't look too good, and the rest of th parts connecting to the tank were all rusted which can't be good.

As for the anti theft, shes had problems starting her car in the past, it thinks shes trying to steal it and wont crank, its been fine for over a month til that code came back.

I will clear them all and hope some of them go away after I do, what you told me. Thank You.

P.S. Still waiting on ford to let me know which part number. Hope i find out today.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:56 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Ok that helps me out some more..

Is you have gas dripping, its either the filler neck seal (most common on mustangs) or filler neck itself. I have seen them rust out. That will definitely cause a EVAP code...

Is the car running rough/gettin bad gas mileage? The MAF code Im a little grey on, but let me kno.

The PATS problem might be a faulty key or most likely the PATS receiver. When you put the key in, and the THEFT light is flashing, it means PATS is active and disabling the car. If its solid then your good.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:03 AM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

Ok that helps me out some more..

Is you have gas dripping, its either the filler neck seal (most common on mustangs) or filler neck itself. I have seen them rust out. That will definitely cause a EVAP code...

Is the car running rough/gettin bad gas mileage? The MAF code Im a little grey on, but let me kno.

The PATS problem might be a faulty key or most likely the PATS receiver. When you put the key in, and the THEFT light is flashing, it means PATS is active and disabling the car. If its solid then your good.

Yeah it only dripped that one time from what I noticed, but that definitely might explain it, she has said that her gas mileage hasn't been as good, so that might be the cause of it, I mean she does alot of highway driving and the car has close to 100k and the previous owners didnt take care of it, tranny fluid was horrible when we changed it, and we've been fixing it little by little, she likes her rare Electric Green mustang.

I'll check the MAF sensor and see.

AS for the PATs, I made her use another car key she had lying around the house and since then she hasn't had problems starting it which is great. So i guess that was the problem, also has an aftermarket alarm with remote starter from previous owner and we'll be removing it next summer because its not helping her case.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:38 AM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

ugh, its the defrost door,

Part Number they gave me is 18A318
Any idea where I can find that or defrost motor part online? I tried Fordparts.com and couldn't find it. Thanks.

But now i know.

Any chance you can e-mail me the diagrams for it, so I can see how bad it is to install it?

Last edited by edgespeeder06; 11-17-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:42 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Ok I have The directions done up, PM me an email..

Only thing I didnt copy was the directions for the dash removal, which is goin to take a while if you need it.. And I'm out of time tonight
Old 11-17-2008, 05:49 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I cannot find the part online either, I dont have a lot of time to really search, your best bet is to just buy it from Ford.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:56 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

Ok I have The directions done up, PM me an email..

Only thing I didnt copy was the directions for the dash removal, which is goin to take a while if you need it.. And I'm out of time tonight

Hey thank you I appreciate it, dont worry about the dash, I can figure it out. The other directions would be great since they arent in the haynes book i have.

Pm Sent

Yeah I will just have to get it from them Thanks.